Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am new to the forum but have exp. with a samurai. On the way home from work one night, going up one of the many hills between me and the house I heard a pop and and the rig lerched(not what you want to hear with 5mi of hills between you and home). We replaced the rear wheel bearings (was needed) and it made no dif. I tried going down the driveway without the rear driveshaft out to see if it would still do it and it popped and the transfer case got stuck in N. we have recently rebuilt the trans. and have replaced the t-case shifter sheet. Any ideas:confused:

·
Registered
137 Posts
hi welcome to the forum .the first problem that i had after i get my samy was the transfer case stock in neutral and i get this answer from a member of this forum and this solve the problem ,i hope this will help you

Don't worry this is an easy fix. What's happened is the bush which keeps the transfer case gear lever in position has disintegrated and allowed the gear lever to drop leaving the transfer case stuck in neutral. You can fix this from inside the cab, no need to remove the T case or even get under the vehicle. Don't know how much a new bush will cost you but here in Australia it's between 15 and 20 dollars depending on where you buy it. The way to replace the bush is:

1 Remove T case gear knob.
2 Remove the screws holding the T case gear lever boot and remove the boot.
3 Remove the smaller boot from the top of the T case where the lever attaches to the T case.
4 Push down and turn the lock ring holding the gear lever in position, it's a bayonet fitting.
5 Lift the gear lever out.
6 Install the new bush in its seat, you'll be able to see where it goes.
7 Installation of the gear lever is the reverse of removing it.

This shouldn't take more then an hour all up. If there are any remnants of the old bush in the seat make sure you remove them otherwise you won't be able to push the lock ring down far enough to lock it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the bushing has been replaced with a good poly one. it still does it. and that is not the main problem. the whole sami will jerk like you hit a 2x4 laying across the road and i hear a pop along with it. and if it is in 4wheel drive it will jump into neutral. it gets worse going up hill. the rear driveshaft has a little slop in the splines but not that much. the oil in the rear axle was old but clean it did not have any steel flakes in it or on the drain plug.

·
Registered
137 Posts
THEN YOU SHOULD TAKE DOWN YOUR TRANSFER CASE AND DISABLE, IF YOU ARE MECHANIC INCLINED IT WILL BE EASY TO DO Y REBUILT MY ONE LIKE 2 MONTH A GO AND IT WAS EASY, MY ONE WAS LEAKING A LOT THE BUT OTHER THAN THAT IT WAS RUNNING FINE,
IF YOU WANT TO REBUILT FOLLOW THIS LINK
Trail Creeper 6.5 Samurai Gear Instructions AND IT WILL GIVE YOU INSTRUCTION STEEP BY STEEP

CHEERS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts