Suzuki Forums banner

transfer stuck in neutral

12K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Vagrant 
#1 ·
Just got back from first time towing my "new" '88 Samurai. I towed with a tow bar and both in neutral. Everything worked until I got home after traveling 2,500 miles. I can't get it to shift out of neutral in the transfer case. The tranny gears are ok. I just learned why you need to leave the trans in 2nd??? Did I burn up the bearings in the transfer case??

#3 ·
I will try that first then I assume that if it doesn't fix the problem the I need to pull the transfer case and open it up? Is it possible to freeze up the gears or bearings if I didn't have the trans in 2nd? The last day towing I put on about 600 miles with both in nuetral. Thanks Billjohn for your reply!

#11 ·
That vendor has been like that for years... sorry. Here are a few places to try:

Low Range Offroad - T-case fix

Petroworks - T-case parts

Hello! Anyone have a x-fer case shifter sheet/bushing sitting around that hasn't been installed yet? If so can I get some dimensions from it? I've got the OD, just need the height and the width of the top and inner lips to determine the radius needed for the ball part of the shifter.
My kid is going to look at a '86 tin top that has the x-fer case stuck in neutral and I was going to try turning one out of some polyurethane I have laying around to got it home. At least I hope that's all it needs!

#7 · (Edited)
#9 ·
Reach under the dash to the right of the steering column.
Find a vertical brace with a two position switch on it. Just flip the switch to the opposite direction to reset.
This is what we call the $300 oil change switch.
It calls you into the dealership to get the light checked on a regular interval so they can sell you an overpriced maint. check and change your oil...
Then they just flip the switch.
:eek:

#12 ·
when I finally figured out what was wrong 20 years ago I was at the hunting camp. I took a standard plastic slip joint bushing / gasket like what is in the U trap under your sink. cut about 1/8" inch out of the side so it fit down in snugly and it still works great to this day. about 50 cents at Ace hardware.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.