Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from first time towing my "new" '88 Samurai. I towed with a tow bar and both in neutral. Everything worked until I got home after traveling 2,500 miles. I can't get it to shift out of neutral in the transfer case. The tranny gears are ok. I just learned why you need to leave the trans in 2nd??? Did I burn up the bearings in the transfer case??

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Probably just a worn out shifter sheet (bushing).
Take a look here to replace it.
T-Case fix
Using the instructions, you can pop the shifter out and re-center the linkage using a large, flat bladed screwdriver.
This is a common issue with worn out t-case bushings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try that first then I assume that if it doesn't fix the problem the I need to pull the transfer case and open it up? Is it possible to freeze up the gears or bearings if I didn't have the trans in 2nd? The last day towing I put on about 600 miles with both in nuetral. Thanks Billjohn for your reply!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You were right! The bushing is gone and I was able to move the notched shaft onto
2H. The bummer is the guys in Utah have the bushing on backorder, hopefully back in stock in a week. Thanks again!!! I'm glad God forgives too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again! Just placed the order. The check engine light was also on then starts flashing. Is there anything I check or do I have to take it in?

·
Registered
264 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My just turned 100K during the tow so I didn't see that happen so I hope your right and its a service reminder. How do you reset? THANKS!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Reach under the dash to the right of the steering column.
Find a vertical brace with a two position switch on it. Just flip the switch to the opposite direction to reset.
This is what we call the $300 oil change switch.
It calls you into the dealership to get the light checked on a regular interval so they can sell you an overpriced maint. check and change your oil...
Then they just flip the switch.
:eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts