Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm attempting to purchase a 6.5:1 Trail Creeper crawler gears for my Sammy, but it's on a very long back order. Spidertrax is carrying Calmini's 6.5:1 in stock, but Calmini's is forged from weaker steel than Trail Creeper; anyone has any experience with Calmini's transfer case gears? Also, I don't understand why is Calmini's so much more expensive.

Would anyone recommend Calmini? I'm really tired of waiting for those things.

I'll soon be sharing some really nice pictures of my Banana Samurai, when I'm done with phase 1 (painting) and phase 2 (lifting).

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I'm attempting to purchase a 6.5:1 Trail Creeper crawler gears for my Sammy, but it's on a very long back order. Spidertrax is carrying Calmini's 6.5:1 in stock, but Calmini's is forged from weaker steel than Trail Creeper; anyone has any experience with Calmini's transfer case gears? Also, I don't understand why is Calmini's so much more expensive.

Would anyone recommend Calmini? I'm really tired of waiting for those things.

I'll soon be sharing some really nice pictures of my Banana Samurai, when I'm done with phase 1 (painting) and phase 2 (lifting).
I would call up Sean at Low Range Off Road. They resell the Trail Creeper set and may have something on hand...
Welcome to Low Range Off-Road, your off-road parts and accessories source for your Suzuki, Toyota, and Jeep

As for Calmini... Calmini is Calmini. They don't care if you don't like how they do business, because Suzuki parts sales aren't a priority for them any more.
But their one piece forged gears do work well. That is why Spidertrax resells them. I would give my money (profit) to Spidertrax over Calmini any day of the week.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would call up Sean at Low Range Off Road. They resell the Trail Creeper set and may have something on hand...
Welcome to Low Range Off-Road, your off-road parts and accessories source for your Suzuki, Toyota, and Jeep

As for Calmini... Calmini is Calmini. They don't care if you don't like how they do business, because Suzuki parts sales aren't a priority for them any more.
But their one piece forged gears do work well. That is why Spidertrax resells them. I would give my money (profit) to Spidertrax over Calmini any day of the week.
Hay, thank you so much for the advice. I already placed the order with Sean, they have 15 units in stock.

What's the reason so many Samurai lovers hate Calmini? Although they've developed so many mod parts for it?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Hay, thank you so much for the advice. I already placed the order with Sean, they have 15 units in stock.

What's the reason so many Samurai lovers hate Calmini? Although they've developed so many mod parts for it?
Anytime.

Calmini was one of the first companies out there to supply aftermarket offroad parts for the Samurai. You can never take that away from them. They also make and/or resell some really good parts. Also something that should not be taken away from them. If I am doing a build that would work best with any of their parts, I would not hesitate to use it.
Unfortunately, the owner used to get involved with the customer service (haven't heard anything negative lately) and, well, let's just say that he was not really a 'people' person. Some cuts run deep in this small Suzuki family.

Samurai folk are not known for throwing out large sums of cash for a product. I guess they got tired of serving the little (frugal) people. When they started building parts for Jeeps and other makes, they realized that other folks threw around alot more cash, so that is where they concentrated.
(Would you blame them?)

They still sell Zook parts, but it doesn't bring home the bacon. So understand their priority.

Other Zook vendors have taken up the opportunity to serve the 'little guy' and some are doing it quite well. I have had the priviledge of working with many of them in the last 10 years and I have seen what a little customer service can do for business.

Hopefully this answers your question.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anytime.

Calmini was one of the first companies out there to supply aftermarket offroad parts for the Samurai. You can never take that away from them. They also make and/or resell some really good parts. Also something that should not be taken away from them. If I am doing a build that would work best with any of their parts, I would not hesitate to use it.
Unfortunately, the owner used to get involved with the customer service (haven't heard anything negative lately) and, well, let's just say that he was not really a 'people' person. Some cuts run deep in this small Suzuki family.

Samurai folk are not known for throwing out large sums of cash for a product. I guess they got tired of serving the little (frugal) people. When they started building parts for Jeeps and other makes, they realized that other folks threw around alot more cash, so that is where they concentrated.
(Would you blame them?)

They still sell Zook parts, but it doesn't bring home the bacon. So understand their priority.

Other Zook vendors have taken up the opportunity to serve the 'little guy' and some are doing it quite well. I have had the priviledge of working with many of them in the last 10 years and I have seen what a little customer service can do for business.

Hopefully this answers your question.

Thank you Bill. That's all very interesting. I'm new to the Suzuki community and a few months ago decided to buy an old Sammy and restore it and modify it. So I'm learning more and more about this community now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE]

Dude, CALMINI is the only US-made BILLET gear. How is a chinese made forged copy of the CALMINI 6.5:1 better? You need to check where you are getting your information from. The CALMINI 6.5 gears are machined from solid billet.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
QUOTE]

Dude, CALMINI is the only US-made BILLET gear. How is a chinese made forged copy of the CALMINI 6.5:1 better? You need to check where you are getting your information from. The CALMINI 6.5 gears are machined from solid billet.
Quote from Calmini puresuzuki website about Calmini TC:
Manufactured in the USA to exceed factory tolerances from quality SAE 8620 alloy.
Quote from Rocky-Road.com about trail gear TC:

As well, they are built from +9000 series alloy which dwarfs the strength rating of weaker 8620 alloy gears coming to market.
They also state that:
The Creeper gears are also much stronger than any other 6:1 due to their innovative larger tooth pattern. They are also the only gears on the planet to come with ground teeth for better noise control on the highway.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And it's on its way. The Trail Gear 6.5:1 T/C gear set for my Samurai is on its way from low range off-road, thanks to them first, and to Bill for pointing me to the right direction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts