Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing out my shifter sheet on my 88' suzuki samurai 4x4. It was pretty brittle and when i was removing it a 3/8" peice broke off and fell under rods and I am unable to get to it to remove it. I am just wondering if it would be alright to run it with that peice in there? I reallly don't want to have to drop the transfer case to get it out. My dad seems to think I can leave it in there and run it for a while and then drain the oil. He said by then the gears should have ground it up pretty good. If I don't need to do that what would be my best option?

Thanks, Joey

·
Registered
7 Posts
obviously letting the gears grind it up can wear the gears but what options you have i would try it but change fluid fairly soon and also you can put a magnetic plug to pick up small pieces of metal to help with removal of shrapnel also check oil pump to make sure pieces of funk arent cloging screen especizlly if oil pressure drops

·
Registered
14 Posts
If it was the stock sheet you'll be just fine. There is no metal in it & there are also no screens or pickup tube or pumps to get clogged in the transfer case. It is a gear oil bath in there. Magnetic plugs also won't help since there is no metal. While its never a great idea to have foreign matter in your transfer case, this isn't gonna hurt anything. Changing the oil may or may not help, but I bet its been a while since its been done anyway.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Don't panic !!

Most of us had to change the ubiquitous
Shift sheet in our tranny or T/C.
In some cases there was none of the
sheet material left at the bottom of
the shifter.
It had disintegrated and been chewed to
very small pieces and left in the case.