Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!
I’m relatively new to the forum. I purchased my 91 Samurai in April of this year. I have found all of the archived posts invaluable. Thanks!

My current problem is my TC. I pulled out of the driveway and for the first time had a whine relative to my speed. The pitch of the whine did not change with the gear selection so I figured it was not the transmission. Under a load the whine is present. During deceleration the whine disappears. I assumed it was my rear differential.

I removed the rear drive shaft, put it in 4 hi, and drove down the road. The whine was unchanged. I believed it to be the TC. I checked the TC oil and found it milky. I changed the oil in the TC in April after I bought the Sammy and have not submerged the vehicle in water ever??? I changed the oil again and the whine is still present.

I found a rebuild kit on ZOR for around $80. It includes all of the ball bearings but not the idler shaft, idler shaft thrust washers, idler shaft needle bearings or drive gear needle bearings. Because water was present should I find a more complete kit or should this kit solve my problem? I have yet to pull the TC and open it up.

Any ideas on how water could get in? I have driven through puddles and 8-10" of standing water but it was just splashing the underside of the Sammy.

Thanks for any help!!

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The t-case does have a breather on top, so that might be the method the water is taking to get in. You can run a breather line up into your engine compartment if you planto continue through standing water.

If your t-case has never been rebuilt, then then is better to just go the whole 9 yards and replace the idler shaft, all bearings, thrust washers and seals. Hey, it's 20 years old... give it a make-over.

Also, check for cracks around the front output shaft (housing).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill!!

Good advice! Ill be pulling it this weekend. Ill inspect for cracks. I plan to order the whole rebuild kit. I priced used TC's and WOW!! $400-550!!! Used with no warranty!!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you are going to pull apart the t-case now might be the time to re-gear too.
I just picked up a good stock t-case for $40. The only thing wrong with it was it needed a new shifter sheet. It came with the mounting arms, speedo cable, rubber t-case mounts, stick, rubber boot, spring, 4x4 switch, pretty much complete..... SO, shop around and you might be able to find a cheaper one out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks y'all

I plan to rebuild my TC to buy me some time. It's my daily driver. I want to repower, stronger trans, new axels and get a bullet proof TC some day. Thanks for all of your help!!!
I'll keep looking for another TC so I can rebuild it with the new shafts and gear ratios. It would be nice to have a backup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts