Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading THIS THREAD I got to thinking about changing my T-case gears to better accommodate my off-road driving and 29" tires. However, it's not long before I read that I should change my axle gears FIRST and maybe "instead".

So what do ya'll'uns think? Change transfer case, axle gears, both, or neither?

Again, I drive 100% off-road, top speed of 45 mph, and I use 4L sometimes to get a "granny" 1st gear. Tires are 215/15, 29" diameter. Not rock crawling, but I am picking my way along on ranch roads and such.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
You're going to find folks on both sides of the aisle for this one...

My opinion is that if you just want to drop a little, go with the t-case gearsand be done with it.
If you want to go deep (35"+ tires or rock crawling) then do both. No sense putting all that drop in just one part of the system.

Just my opinion.;)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'm with bill, If you were doing a bunch of highway driving and not much offroading, just the diff gears would be great. For primarily offroading at lower speeds but milder trail use, the T-case is the way to go for some good low end grunt.

If you ever get to the point where you think you need to be doing both of them, you would be throwing much larger tires, and doing some harder core crawling. Usually at that point the gearing is too low and the torque is too high for the birfs and the stock ujoints. That's when you gotta get a bigger can for the worms you just opened up.

·
Registered
212 Posts
gears to match use

High Plains
Doing what u do is what my experiences in New Mexico were.
My tires are equivalent to 31s.
My gear changes are in the transfercase because I do not want to lose 5th gear as my overdrive on the highway or pathway to the hard stuff.
For that reason the gears give very little change in 2 wheel but kick in when in 4lo. Giving me enough lower grunt to do what I do. The lockrites also figure in the equation. Only in use up front with the hubs dialed in and comfortable on the pavement in the rear ( as opposed to fozzy...which has bad manners ).
A buddy did go to larger tires ( 33s & 35s ) That change required gear change in the diffs and t/c. Note what Barratucus says !!! Seen it up too close !!
What Billjohn says x2

·
Registered
7 Posts
i did the 5.14:1 t case gear set. 5th is great on the highway and in low the crawl is great for idling over obsticles. like the others have said if you plan on going bigger, you will more than likely be changing over axles (gears in the sammy axles do you no good if they are being swapped out for Toys)

Just my two cents

·
Registered
193 Posts
.. I drive 100% off-road, top speed of 45 mph, and I use 4L sometimes to get a "granny" 1st gear. Tires are 215/15, 29" diameter. Not rock crawling, but I am picking my way along on ranch roads and such.
I really hate to be the one to say it, but I don't see the need. Stock low range already gets you about 45 mph top speed. 215's calculate to 27.7"; BFG rates their 215/75 T/A KO tire (mine) at 27.8" (stock 205's are about 27.1"). With near stock tires and no need for freeway speeds, your gearing is pretty good as it stands. If you change tire sizes, then changing gearing makes sense. But the stock gearing is already pretty good for picking your way along ranch roads.

If you just have to go lower, then one of the 4:1 gearsets could be a good choice on near-stock tires. I ran a 4.16 for years on 215's before recently changing to 235's (29x9.5" -- they're 1" wider, but still fit within the fender flares). It was kinda buzzy at full freeway speed, but around town not too different from before. But it's really rare for me to find a need for first in low-range off-road. You're lucky to live in such a nice part of the county.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really hate to be the one to say it, but I don't see the need.

215's calculate to 27.7";

No problem!!! Saves me $$$.

You're right on the size, too- I have it written down right here. It's 235's that were 29" high and I didn't get those.

I'll leave it alone for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts