Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 06 grand vitara.
There is a clicking that comes from my transfer case module located behind the glove compartment, associated with the clicking the traction control light, the neutral light and the 4 low light flash in the dash. The ESP light is also on.
Suzuki dealership seems to be at a loss and can't figure it out. They replaced the module first with a bad part and then with a supposedly good part. Nothing has seemed to fix the problem though. In addition sometimes the check engine light comes on and the car won't start unless you pump the gas. Light stays on for a couple days, then it goes off and the car goes back to starting right up!
Any advice helps!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I own a 06 grand vitara.
There is a clicking that comes from my transfer case module located behind the glove compartment, associated with the clicking the traction control light, the neutral light and the 4 low light flash in the dash. The ESP light is also on.
Suzuki dealership seems to be at a loss and can't figure it out. They replaced the module first with a bad part and then with a supposedly good part. Nothing has seemed to fix the problem though. In addition sometimes the check engine light comes on and the car won't start unless you pump the gas. Light stays on for a couple days, then it goes off and the car goes back to starting right up!
Any advice helps!
I know your post was three years ago but did you ever find a fix for the issue you were having with the grand Vitara? I’m having that same exact problem now and I changed the body control module and nothing is working

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
If you have an answer please email me. Thank you
[email protected]
Replacing is not the answer, you need to diagnose properly, if you do not have the skills/equipment, find a qualified diagnostician, not a mechanic... If you have a CEL, first start by recording the defined codes, DO NOT clear the codes as this erases any FF data which could assist in the diagnostics...

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you have an answer please email me. Thank you
[email protected]
Wow. Sorry to be a bother. The whole point of forums are to get valuable information. I didn't just go replacing things. And it cost me nothing. My point is i have a 2006 Grand Vitara showing the EXACT SYMPTOMS you described. So naturally one would ask the question " did you find a resolution?"

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I own a 06 grand vitara.
Any advice helps!
Anyway, all I was asking is if you had found a fix and if you did could you please share it with me?

Kindly

Michael

·
Registered
9 Posts
I own a 06 grand vitara.
Any advice helps!
Furthermore, my professional mechanic who doesn’t rip everybody off connected it to his snap on scanner. He couldn’t read any codes because it wasn’t communicating. So I didn’t just jump into it. My mechanic is super busy and I have had similar issues with different cars before and changed BCM which resolved my issues.

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
If the Snap-on scanner was not communicating, the first thing you should check is the power and grounds then the CAN lines..

Do you have BAT+ on the pin 16 of the DLC.. and chassis/sensor grounds on #4/5.

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
You will need a scope (DSO) to diagnose the CAN system..

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
I know your post was three years ago but did you ever find a fix for the issue you were having with the grand Vitara? I’m having that same exact problem now and I changed the body control module and nothing is working
you can't just swap modules in these cars, you need a suzuki scan tool to code the modules to the others in the car. As you have found out, the car is disables if you do this.

As Philip has stated, diagnose can bus first, be aware the CAN lines from the DLC in these go thru the BCM so you need to start diagnosing after the BCM, Refit original BCM, then scope CAN H and CAN L lines, AFTER THE BCM on the common CAN bus unplugging modules in turn until you find the faulty one. Including the Steering angle sensor and SRS modules.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,509 Posts
My mechanic is super busy and I have had similar issues with different cars before and changed BCM which resolved my issues.
Were those other cars SUVs with four mode four wheel drive? The main reason I'm asking this question is the BCM or Body Control Module is in no way related to the symptoms listed by the original poster. The module that was replaced in that case was the 4WD control module, not the BCM. Swapping the BCM because it fixed the problem on some other vehicle is the very definition of "just replacing things".

It appears to me that your symptoms are not as "same exact" as you might think - I don't see the original poster mention anything about scanners not communicating.

I'm going to suggest that you take a step back, and curb that "rapid fire machine gun response" approach, all you're doing is antagonizing the very folks who can assist you by providing the valuable information you seek. It's also a good idea to tell us what you're driving.

Oh - welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Replacing is not the answer, you need to diagnose properly, if you do not have the skills/equipment, find a qualified diagnostician, not a mechanic... If you have a CEL, first start by recording the defined codes, DO NOT clear the codes as this erases any FF data which could assist in the diagnostics...
So I had the chance to check the voltage at pin 16 4 and 5. Pin 16 has voltage and 4 and 5 do not?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Were those other cars SUVs with four mode four wheel drive? The main reason I'm asking this question is the BCM or Body Control Module is in no way related to the symptoms listed by the original poster. The module that was replaced in that case was the 4WD control module, not the BCM. Swapping the BCM because it fixed the problem on some other vehicle is the very definition of "just replacing things".

It appears to me that your symptoms are not as "same exact" as you might think - I don't see the original poster mention anything about scanners not communicating.

I'm going to suggest that you take a step back, and curb that "rapid fire machine gun response" approach, all you're doing is antagonizing the very folks who can assist you by providing the valuable information you seek. It's also a good idea to tell us what you're driving.

Oh - welcome to the forum.
So if I seemed out of line, but I did mention the vehicle. If for some reason it isn’t in any of my posts, it’s a 2006 grand Vitara. Automatic, AWD is switch activated and not stick. Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
13,509 Posts
There seems to be an issue with reading and comprehension.

So if I seemed out of line, but I did mention the vehicle. If for some reason it isn’t in any of my posts, it’s a 2006 grand Vitara. Automatic, AWD is switch activated and not stick. Thanks for your help.
Were the OTHER vehicles on which you changed the BCM and solved the problem SUVs with AWD? Did the OTHER vehicles on which you changed the BCM have electrically shifted transfer cases?

The point you're missing is that because changing the BCM on vehicle A solves a problem doesn't mean it will solve the problem on vehicle B, especially when the BCM on vehicle B does not control the function with which you're having the problem - the BCM on a Suzuki Grand Vitara does not control the transfer case, so changing it won't resolve a transfer case related problem.

Maybe the problem you were trying to fix by swapping the BCM was the lack of communication one and not the transfer case one, but that is not what your posts suggest.

Look back at this thread - notice how you're replying to a single comment multiple times? Notice how you're even replying to/commenting on your own post? Maybe - just maybe - if you slowed down some, and took the time to read and understand what you're being asked about (or told to do), if you took the time to think about what it is you want to say, instead of trying to respond to every little comment, you would come off as being less out of line.

BEFORE you hit that "Post reply" button - STOP and READ your post - does it make sense, is it what you want to say - don't be in such a hurry.

So I had the chance to check the voltage at pin 16 4 and 5. Pin 16 has voltage and 4 and 5 do not?
Did you understand what it is you were checking for? What were you expecting to find on pins 4,5 & 16? Pins 4 & 5 are ground, so those are your reference, pin 16 is B+ and should have 12V when referenced to either pin 4 or 5 - if those voltages are correct, the scanner should at least power up, but if you have no communication than you'll need a scope to check the other signals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There seems to be an issue with reading and comprehension.

Were the OTHER vehicles on which you changed the BCM and solved the problem SUVs with AWD? Did the OTHER vehicles on which you changed the BCM have electrically shifted transfer cases?

The point you're missing is that because changing the BCM on vehicle A solves a problem doesn't mean it will solve the problem on vehicle B, especially when the BCM on vehicle B does not control the function with which you're having the problem - the BCM on a Suzuki Grand Vitara does not control the transfer case, so changing it won't resolve a transfer case related problem.

Maybe the problem you were trying to fix by swapping the BCM was the lack of communication one and not the transfer case one, but that is not what your posts suggest.

Look back at this thread - notice how you're replying to a single comment multiple times? Notice how you're even replying to/commenting on your own post? Maybe - just maybe - if you slowed down some, and took the time to read and understand what you're being asked about (or told to do), if you took the time to think about what it is you want to say, instead of trying to respond to every little comment, you would come off as being less out of line.

BEFORE you hit that "Post reply" button - STOP and READ your post - does it make sense, is it what you want to say - don't be in such a hurry.

Did you understand what it is you were checking for? What were you expecting to find on pins 4,5 & 16? Pins 4 & 5 are ground, so those are your reference, pin 16 is B+ and should have 12V when referenced to either pin 4 or 5 - if those voltages are correct, the scanner should at least power up, but if you have no communication than you'll need a scope to check the other signals.
Thank you. I do apologize. You are right. I noticed after my reply that I was responding to my own replies. I'm not too familiar with forums and I agree i should slow down. My first post and first reply I got just upset me a little and I let that cloud my judgement.
The only reason I swapped the BCM was because everytime the dash lights come on the relay in the BCM would click. I also had a spare on hand.
Basically, the 4L, the symbol with the all wheel drive and the N all come on and there is a feeling of power loss. At times, the ESP lights up as well.
Once again, my apologies.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,509 Posts
How about we make a fresh start - the original poster in this thread has not been active since June of 2017 and is unlikely to respond to your question.

Make your own thread (there should be a button to start a new discussion in the top right corner), put it in the 3G Grand Vitara section, tell us what you're driving, include the engine size and transmission type and what it is you need assistance with, you seem to have multiple issues, one with the AWD system and another with the diagnostic communication system - they may or may not be related.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts