Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd really like to have a lower gear ratio in the transfer case. I've seen some kits available online.

Can anyone offer suggestions or recommendations? Maybe a good place to buy from (or, equally as good, the name of anyplace I DON'T want to buy from)?

Looking online I've seen that installation has "some grinding required". Any big deal there?

Are there choices of transfer gear ratios?

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Wow. Innocent questions with big answers.

The first thing you will want t do is figure out what you want to do with the vehicle.
Is the gearing change just to make up for bigger tires on the highway?
Or do you want to offroad with it?
Or do you want to rock crawl with it?

Different questions requiring different gear ratios. You can get an idea using a gear calculator that can be found all over the net. Lots of sites have their own. You can plug in the stock gear ratios and then experiment from there. Here is a link to our calc page at iZook.
Gear Calculator
And here is a link to the gearing tables that list most of the ratios that are out there.
Gearing Tables

Old school thought was that if you only needed to adjust to 31's, you could get a 4.16:1 (GRS1) to do the job. If you wanted to go to 33's you would want a 4.89:1 (GRS2). But you can get more power (with a slower top speed)
with a 5.1 - or 5.4 - or 5.8 - or 6.4 - or even 8:1 gearset.

If you are not comfortable with ripping apart your t-case, you can get complete units from Petroworks, Trail Tough or Low Range Offroad. They will also give you some pretty good advice on what you need for your situation.

PetroWorks
Welcome to the Trail Tough Products
Welcome to Low Range Off-Road, your off-road parts and accessories source for your Suzuki, Toyota, and Jeep

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks again Bill.

This Sammy is only used on our forest trails. My wife has asked for lower gearing so that she can go slower without lugging/killing the motor.

If it ever is sold to someone else I figure the lower gearing would be desirable, especially if a new owner was gonna put bigger tires on and lift it. (Not likely we'd ever sell it .... it'll probably just become part of the equipment on our parcel, like my tractor).

I plan on keeping the stock size tires for our use since there are some sidehills and this IS a Samurai ;) and I have a street tread on it in order to 'tread lightly'.

I've attached a pic of how it's used: "toy"

But I didn't know anyplace better than here to start the process of figuring out how to fulfill her request. I'll be checking out Petroworks (more.... I've been there many times already) and the other links.

But I'm ready for suggestions if the above info is indicating one ratio over another.

Phil

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and normally the little one has the seatbelt around him, even going 4mph, but she'd just gotten stuck in the mud and I took the photo before going to get the tractor but afer she'd undone his belt.

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Looks like Gary doesn't offer the GRS1 any longer. If it is just to run around the 'parcel' you can't go wrong with his GRS2 setup. It has good stump pulling gears. Good luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it seems 4.89:1 or 4.9:1 will be the way to go. Now to figure out how to do it for less than $600! I did notice one "economy" kit for less but then I'd have to find the gaskets and any bearings that needed replacing.

Thanks again for the links.

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Remember to replace the main shaft. The 20 year old original is going to be worn and you can destroy a new set of gears re-using the worn shaft (been there, done that...)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remember to replace the main shaft. The 20 year old original is going to be worn and you can destroy a new set of gears re-using the worn shaft (been there, done that...)
WOW Bill... thankyouverymuch for that nugget of wisdom. That "economy" kit I believe only had gears so I guess it's the $600 "option" only.

Phil

·
Registered
10 Posts
I loved my 6.4:1 with 30" tires. It was a little slow on the highway but still reasonable, while at times off-road I still wished for just a little lower.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I chose to send my T-case to TrailTough to get it rebuilt with 4.16:1 gears. The peace-of-mind I get from having it professionally serviced by experts justified the small additional expense and aggravation. It's easy to re-install and the closest thing to turn-key I could find.
When it comes time for tires, you might consider the BFG TA/KO all-terrain. The 215/75R15 size is the largest that fits an unmodified Samurai.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I chose to send my T-case to TrailTough to get it rebuilt with 4.16:1 gears. The peace-of-mind I get from having it professionally serviced by experts justified the small additional expense and aggravation. It's easy to re-install and the closest thing to turn-key I could find.
When it comes time for tires, you might consider the BFG TA/KO all-terrain. The 215/75R15 size is the largest that fits an unmodified Samurai.
Thanks for the input Merlin!

I'm comfortable rebuilding the case myself and the cost of shipping sure contributes to that decision. Tires are staying the same for now, we just want to increase RPMs while decreasing speed. Let the next owner work with larger tire sizes.

Seems the Rocky Road gear set is the least expensive but they charge a "core" on the stock gears? What would they want them for? Do they deduct if the gears are worn or broken? Without getting credit for the old gears, that set becomes the most expensive.

At this point it more a matter of finding enough extra money.... this was a BAD April 15th. Like any are good!

Phil

·
Registered
193 Posts
Most gearsets today are one piece -- no core charge. Before one piece gearsets became common, SJ-410 gears were pressed & welded onto Samurai shafts to get the "rocklobster" 4.16:1 ratio. I recall once reading an article showing the process.

·
Registered
10 Posts
drove it from big sky montana to grand forks north dakota to retrieve a truck from 2 yrs of storage, the stored nissan towed ot back to montana,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts