Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suzuki Samurai 1.3i 1994 - Bought before christmas and been trying to identify a noise since, it happens in all gears ( very slightly in lower ) when your at low revs ( under 2k ) and put your foot down, so that the engine is under load. Iv not been able to identify it until now, it sounds like its from the engine bay, but today i tried putting the transfer box in neutral and putting it through the gears. To my amazment it did it in all gears, it does it continuously in 5th gear at idle speed. Its like a rattling/vibration sound coming from the transfer box. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Check your u-joints. Sounds like it could be one of the joints in the jack shaft (intermediateshaft) that goes from the trans to the transfer case. Shut everything off and leave it in gear. Go up underneath. Grab that sucker and try to move/shake it violently. If it has any movement inthe joint then you need to replace the u-joint.

U-Joint Rebuild

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The jack shaft is a good starting point, but continue out to the front and rear shafts. The whole shaft may rotate a little, but the joints need to be tight and movement-free.

It could also be the front output gear in the transfer case. Although the front driveshaft may not be turning as you test it, the friction may still be moving the gear enough to make noises as it catches inside. The front output gear has a strength issue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Iv asked one of my friends and they mentioned pinking? Where the spark ignites the fuel too soon? To be clear, Transfer case in neutral, gearbox in 5th at idle, this causes it to move and rattle enough so that you can hear it and feel it. Does it do it in anyone elses? Are these cars supposed to be ran at high revs? Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts