Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 tracker with auto trans and was wondering if anyone has swapped the weak little auto out for another type of auto that would hold up better? Thanks Kid...

·
Super Moderator
13,770 Posts
I gotta agree with Rhino there - when I saw "weak little auto" the thought in my mind was what are you smoking???

Both the automatics used on the Sidekicks (3L30 & 03-72LE) were used on vehicles with much larger engines - weak is not the word I would use to describe them.

Reactions: mrchinup

·
Super Moderator
24,473 Posts
x2. They are actually extremely dependable auto trannies that have been in use for decades.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
"92 tracker with auto trans and was wondering if anyone has swapped the weak little auto out.."

1992 Tracker would be a two door so the auto trans would be the 3 speed. The 3 speed was designed quite some time ago as a HIGH RELIABILITY part for utility vehicles. (Best known is the Jeep Mail truck.) So "weak" isn't the best description.

That said:

As old technology, The 3 speed isn't very efficient. It wastes a LOT of power. There are better options available, but most are computer controlled, making any swaps a LOT more complicated.

There are non-computer controlled versions of the 4 speed overdrive unit used in the 4 door TracKicks. While these units are normally two wheel drive and always non-Suzuki, the parts on the "ends" (Bell housing and transfer case) should be able to be swapped from a computer controlled unit from a 4 door using the same motor as your TracKick.

While I have seen a thread or two (on different forums) of this swap, doing this swap you'll be "trail blazing" for others and would very likely have unexpected issues come up.

IE: While possible, do not start on this swap until YOU have researched and have the ability to overcome... Take lots of pictures and let us know how it works out -- even if it is less than a success. We can all learn something.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Maintain your auto and you won't have to swap it. The engine and body will wear out and rust away around it.

People often say how much power the auto wastes, but if you're not going faster than 55, and the TCC is locked, you can get good mileage. I have gotten 28 mpg on several occasions, and I almost never burn a tank of gas without going off-road at some point. At low speeds off road, I have never really been cursing the auto for not giving me enough power, either. YMMV, as always.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it appears that I caught the attention of a few here. OK maybe I shouldn't have used "weak little auto trans" term. I only called it that because I pulled a very small trailer with 560 pounds on it and my trans gave up the ghost. Now it does have a lot of miles on it but dog gone it that little engine doesn't that much power to tear up a tranny I wouldn't think. What happened was trans got hot, puked fluid out of vent tube, pulled over, trailered home, changed fluid and filter, got about 20 miles out of it and drive gear went bye bye.
I was hoping some had replaced this trans with a more durable one but it sounds like I just need to have this one rebuilt. Thanks Kid...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
How many miles on the tranny are we talking about, and how well was it maintained in the past? Fluid changes every 30k miles as recommended (I do every 10k)? How hard were you pushing it? Was the TCC clutch locked up when it failed?

I'd think it was more of an issue with maintenance than with inherent flaws in the transmission. I've towed some big fruit trailers with mine with no issues, but I take it easy. It's not a 6.x L diesel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should have explained myself better by saying is there a auto 4spd auto trans that can be put in place of the three spd that shifts without an computer. Thanks Kid...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Nope. The 3 speed is rock solid if maintained properly. They are also really cheap to get used. What's your location?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unknown on the maintence I bought the unit used and the person seemed to take care of his stuff. Miles are 175000 if the trans hasn't been rebuilt before which is unknown to me. I did notice that the trans pan had a cork type gasket on it when I changed it out and I haven't seen one of those in a very long time. I have only put less than 3 thousand miles on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks colonelhogan44. I'm located in Little Rock AR. Kid...

·
Super Moderator
24,473 Posts
Hmmm, frankly, if I was determined to do a tranny swap, I would go for the 5 speed manual transmission. IMHO

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for everyone's help so far. I would like to stay with an auto trans, I was just hoping to get away with a 4 speed swap of some kind without a lot of wire/computer swapping. Kid

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
From a different forum: (Talking about a Montero transmission)
... The AW372L (03-72L), however, is essentially the same transmission as the Suzuki's 03-72LE (found in 4d TracKicks and X90s). The only real difference is the 03-72LE is electronic and the AW372L is mechanical. Both bell housings and t-case adapters are fully interchangable. It is a virtually bolt-in setup, requiring very little in the way of mods past the tranny/t-case to make it work.

And as an added bonus, the AW372L factory t-case adapter uses the 'New Process' 6 bolt pattern that the Dana300/Atlas t-cases use and the tranny will also accept t-case adapters from the Jeep AW4 and the Toyota A44DL, opening up the TracKick to a whole host of new t-case options.
Read the rest of the thread: 4sp OD MOD Replacement - Zukikrawlers

I'll post more links and info as I find it again.... I have a list of all the applications that used the different variations of the 4 speed auto. One was a 1 ton Toyota Truck!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The cork gasket is indicative of the fluid being original or close to it. All the replacements I have used have been rubber. YMMV, on that one, though.

Get a good solid used 3 speed, swap it in and drive on!

·
Super Moderator
24,473 Posts
I would think that any difficulty you are having with this tranny is due to 172,000 miles with little maintenance and care. Your mileage is not a lot for these cars, actually. You advise that you had damage to the tranny after towing - has this been repaired? How is the car actually running now? Are you thinking of replacing the tranny as a preventative measure, or because you still have problems? A properly maintained tranny should not cause problems...IMHO

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone for your help. I was effected by the recent tornados in central AR and have just now came back to work. I have no internet at my residence right now and don't know how long before it gets restored.
Now as for the transmission I went ahead an took it took a trans shop and the 3L30 is getting rebuilt. Again I wish to thank all who have chimed in an helped. kid...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Make sure you have them weld in a drain plug to the pan!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts