Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 94 4x4 tracker 3 speed auto does something weird I have not experienced before with automatics. I live in a flat area, but several low speed (10 mph) severe corners. When I exit the corners, and begin to accelerate the motor revs, almost like the trans is slipping and then immediately snaps out of it. The trans functions flawlessly besides this in all gears at all speeds.

Any Guesses or similar experience. This is low millage trac, 85,000 and I just changed the atf and filter (it did this before the change as well)

THANKS

·
Super Moderator
25,561 Posts
Normally, I would think that a low level of tranny fluid would do this, as the fluid is moving with the turn of the car away from the pick up tube - are you sure you checked the tranny fluid when the car was warmed up, car was level, in neutral, and watched the fluid level for change in level when shifting from park to neutral?? Also, the pick up tube might be clogged a bit?? Just a guess.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,270 Posts
You may have a leaky modulator..

... Philip

·
Super Moderator
25,561 Posts

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Wouldn't this cause shifting problems all the time, rather than just on turns??
Not necessarily, the modulator works in relation to applied vacuum, coming out of a low speed corner and applying throttle drops the manifold vacuum...

Cheap enough to check first, either with a vacuum pump or physically replacing...

.... Philip

·
Registered
467 Posts
It's possible for the modulator to cause a slip on the up shifts if shifting to soon and not having enough pump pressure...but what the guy is describing wont be caused by a vacuum modulator...all it does is help set the shift pattern in conjunction with the flyweight governor.
Sorry Ed, you cant say the mod can cause it to slip on the up shifts, and that the way the guy describes its isnt related, becuz that is exactly what he his is describing:

" When I exit the corners, and begin to accelerate the motor revs, almost like the trans is slipping..."

·
Registered
467 Posts
My 94 4x4 tracker 3 speed auto does something weird I have not experienced before with automatics. I live in a flat area, but several low speed (10 mph) severe corners. When I exit the corners, and begin to accelerate the motor revs, almost like the trans is slipping and then immediately snaps out of it. The trans functions flawlessly besides this in all gears at all speeds.

Any Guesses or similar experience. This is low millage trac, 85,000 and I just changed the atf and filter (it did this before the change as well)

THANKS
Mine does the same thing, and it happened after I changed the Modulator. I changed the Mod thinking that was the source of my 'clunk' sound when I took off from a stop. (that sound ended up being the bushings in my rear upper control arm). So Ive filled up my trans with what I thought was the same amount of fluid lost when I swapped out the Modulator, but according to the dipstick I am good. Ive never got around to adding more, but on the same token, I don't want to overfill it either.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
No need to drop pan, mod accessible from outside, do not lose the actuator pin when you remove old one..

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
25,561 Posts
Modulators come in different 'models' - each with different color stripes, which dictate how the modulator shifts. Ours use the purple stripe, and it is recommended to get the purple stripe for your replacement.

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,561 Posts
x2 to the special tool - it's an extremely thin wrench. It's called a J 23100 Vacuum Modulator Wrench. Some people here have taken a 30mm wrench and ground it down in order to fit - it's probably just as easy to buy one.

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
piece of flat steel, hacksaw and a file....

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
but thats half the fun of old cars, making bits and doing it yourself. and it takes maybe 20 mins by the time you get the fit just right. Or wait a few weeks for the courier.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts