Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What oil should I use in the Transmission, Transfer Case and Diff's?

It's an 1987 Samurai.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have a few posts on this very subject, it has come up more than once. Rather than finding my thread and linking it I'll just say that after I rebuilt my trans with new OEM bearings and synchros. I tried the autoparts store GL-4 compatable but actually GL-5, which left the shifting notchy and reluctant. I tried Redline synthetic GL-4 expecting a super slick shift and this product and it was really no better than the above mentioned GL-5. The shifting was just not good enough for having just completely overhauled the transmission, I was looking for it to shift like new since it essentially was.

I talked to a few of the older gents and came around to using standard traditional conventional GL-4. I could not find it at the auto parts store but a few folks say SOME NAPA stores MAY carry it, my local NAPA did not, they had the same GL-5 backwards compatible stuff I tried first. I ended up at the Ford stealership. The pic below is what I got and still using, I'm delighted with the way it now shifts. Dont let the counter guy tell you that the GL-5 they have on hand will work the same and is fully backwards compatible. It's a little more expensive but it's basically free once you enjoy proper shifting.

The diffs and xfer case will be less picky as you dont have to constantly shift them. I left the Redline in the transfer case and standard GL-5 in the Toyota diffs. I use lighter weights as winter here can be wicked.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts