Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here is the story, I have a 1992 sami, I just put a 6in lift on it. I have 2 problems

Problems:
1) While driving or coasting, in gear or out of gear I hear underneath me metal to metal noise/rattling. I suspect CV joints. Sound never goes away unless sitting still in idle.

2) While driving and IN gear on DECELERATION I hear a whining noise from under me. Now if I press in clutch (no gas or with gas) while decelerating noise goes away, if I put it in 4 high or low on deceleration noise goes away. My jeep is loud but I don't believe the whine is there under acceleration or normal driving.

Is there a way to check tranny and gear box oil levels? I hope I covered everything pretty well, if you have questions feel free to email me or post

·
Registered
686 Posts
As I found out the hard way, ~6" lift can cause all sorts of vibrations and sounds on such a short wheel base vehicle. Mine is an 88, I believe 92 is very similar but they seem uncommon stateside. I hope someone will chime in with differences if there are any relevant.

I heard rumbling and felt heavy vibration, especially at road speed until I changed some pinion angles and got the correct type of drive shaft for my lift/axle combo. I did note that even slight changes to angles made a huge impact.

To check gear box levels you will remove the fill plug (not the drain plug) and verify the level is just at the level of the hole, you should be able to slip a finger tip in there and touch the fluid level. On the trans the fill plug should be up on the rear side facing the rear of the vehicle and the one on the transfer case should be in plain sight.

Just for fun, if you have never changed the fluid or don't know when it was serviced, its easy, the trans takes around 1.5 qts and the transfer case I believe just under 1qt. Not sure if it varies a little to 92. Most folks are all to happy to simply ignore changing gear oils as normal maintenance.

I agree with Boxcar though, this reeks of drive line/lift issues.

Tony

·
Registered
551 Posts
CV joints only come into affect when 4wd is engaged. They also tend to make popping and clicking noises when they get bad, usually when turning and under power.

Putting it in 4wd would take some load off the rear drive so if it is that changing the noise I'd check the rear end first.

Like the others say. Sounds like drive line. Follow Caseyjone's procedure and while you are under there start manhandling everything drive line related. They shouldn't move anywhere outside of slight roticery movement.

·
Registered
212 Posts
2 things:
thing one: is the shift lever for either the tranny or the T/C touching the tunnel or body at all...lifting changes the dynamics of the levers. Touching will transfer the vibration of the running gear into the body.

thing two: is any of the exhaust system, (pipes, cat, or muffler) touching any of the under carriage anywhere, or any of the running gear. Any contact will sound in the cabin as a rattle or grind. Try hanging the exhaust from rubber hangers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts