Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there everybody,

i am new to this forum, and own a 1998 chevy tracker 4x4. i am replacing the clutch right now, and have a question about my 5 speed manual tranny. if the tranny number stamped on the bell housing helps, it is w104494. there is an open port right beside the rear light indicator cable up by the bell housing that doesn't have anything, ie a hose or a plug, attached to it, and it seems like i could have fluid leaking from it. am i missing a part here, or should it be open like that?

thanks very much for any help, its greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hey all,

here's a bit more info on my vehicle. it's a canadian vehicle, 1.6L, with a mechanical clutch. i haven't figured out yet how to attach a picture to this post, i've tried the insert image link above, but it can't browse to the file on my computer, so i have started an album in my profile. the 2 pics there show the port in question.

thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
Your profile isn't showing any photos, that I can see. Either try the manage attachments link below where you write your post (which should then allow you to browse through your computer), or if you have a photobucket or similar account, you can upload your photo there and then just copy it into your reply here. Photobucket accounts are free, by the way.
I don't know where the 'indicator cable' would be, anywhere near the tranny. Are you talking about the two connectors behind the bell housing? The one closest to the bellhousing is for the backup switch, and the other for the 5th gear switch. The 5th gear switch deals with the EGR system - if it is not connected, the EGR is disabled.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
Sorry, I'm not being too helpful here, but that link shows as 'invalid'. By those 3 bolts there is either one or two connectors. All cars have the connector for the back up switch (closest to the bellhousing, I believe). Some earlier cars have the 5th gear switch. Is that what you are talking about?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i checked the photo link, which works for me, and found it is awaiting moderator approval, so i guess you can't see it yet. my tranny has the back up switch, but not the 5th gear switch, and the port in question would be right between them.

i found another thread entitled "My 91 Geo Tracker manual transmission is leaking", in which the photo of the persons tranny looks like mine, with the same port hole in question being highlighted. the response was that the ports use is unknown, and to plug and seal it, which i will probably do. however, another opinion is always appreciated, and i thank you for your time Bex

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
Not sure why your pic got hung up, but here it is...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is there a long black hose coming from the top of the transmission? I suspect this may be where your fill hose used to be. Happened to be awhile back and caused a slow leak. I just plugged the hole. The real only holes that I'm aware of on the transmission is the fill hose hole on top, the screw fill hole on the side, and a hole where the speedometer cable goes (and obviously the large holes where the shifters and 4x4 selector go :p )

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
Odd. I can see it. :huh:

I've hosted it personally and will post again here.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
I believe that my tranny has a plug there......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alright, finally got everything back into place, started it up, and it drives, but have come upon a couple other problems.

the first problem is that the engine revs up when i depress the gas, but there is a delay in acceleration, most notably after shifting into 2nd to 5th. i turned the flywheel and driveshafts while changing out the clutch components, and did reset to top dead centre for the timing, but expect that the timing could still be off.

the second, and more troubling problem, is the unexpected, kind of loud ticking noise that i am now getting while driving only, which seems to be coming from underneath, maybe from front drivers side wheel area, or more likely, from a bit further back in the centre of the vehicle. the frequency of the ticking noise increases with increased driving speed.

thanks again for any suggestions sent my way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have adjusted the clutch cable and am now back to the smooth acceleration that i was used to before the fix.

still not sure what is causing the ticking noise while driving (see post above).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, turns out the ticking noise was a dirty drivers side freehub. found some info in another thread, took apart the hub, cleaned it, reinstalled it, and voila, no more noise.

thanks to all for your help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts