Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anybody installed a trailer hitch on SX4 Crossover? On the net I found a few hitches available, Curt, Draw-Tite and Hidden Hitch. Did anybody use any of this hitches and what is the experience with them. I would like something not as visible if possible. Any experience with the wiring kits?
Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trailer hitch

I used the Curt model. Installed easily myself with minor adjustment to predrilled holes in the frame. Used Canadian Tire supplied wiring harness. Works well. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Trailer Hitch

I installed a Reese hitch in about an hour, it is barely visible and works like a champ.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks, I long have you owned your sx4? Do you really like it? I think it is probably the best car in it's class.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Purchased on Dec 31, 2008. Its an 09. I like it alot. I bought it because of the no maint timing chain and the warranty mainly. Suzuki vehicles have always been good to me. This is my third Suzuki. 87 samuri, 94 swift gt, 09 sx4 sport.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Hidden Hitch, Draw Tite, and Reese hitches are all the exact same item made by the same company with all three part numbers, so don't get hung up on differences between those. It may say it is powder coated in the description but it is not, it is painted. I think I got mine from etrailer.com and they did a good job. Install is not hard at all but you do need to drill some 1 1/2" dia holes. A cheap hole saw set from Harbor Freight worked fine for me. On one of these forums I learned that you can drill the holes from the inside of the car down instead of from underneath. I did that and much prefer that way because there will be no rust problems due to the holes I drilled. Put tape over them and it's like the holes aren't even there.

The Curt hitch is apparently powder coated. I would prefer that, but not for the premium they charge.

Installing the wiring was more time consuming. Not hard, but took more thought.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I got the U-Haul hitch, painted, second hand from my Suzuki dealer. They took it off of a trade-in and I got it for $100.
It didn't look like it had ever been used. There was no ball mount with it. I got one at Wal-mart.

The existing hole in the frame, for the bolt on either side is too small for the bolt that came with the hitch. I reamed it out to 9/16" and it worked fine.

The big rectangular washer that needs to go up inside the frame, looked like it could use a 1 and 1/8" hole, and I already had that size hole saw, to that went off well. A Curved nose 10" hemostat was great for hanging on to the bolt while I worked it and the washer up through the big hole and dropped the bolt down into the smaller hole. And all that without any instructions.

In something less than an hour, the whole job was done.

So far, I've not bought a trailer, so I've not done any wiring. I've pulled some trailers around for my neighbor, but we didn't mess with wiring them up.

I mainly use my hitch for pulling my road drag, dragging logs around, pulling people out of sand pits, etc...... not really for trailering.

I never cease to be amazed, at just how hard this little car PULLS, when in 4WD/Lock, with ESP off and in 2nd Gear. I'm looking for a John Deere badge to put on the car. rofl

:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts