Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got the 95 tracker body that I have the steering column had been trashed. The lock all busted up. Turn switch and wiring all destroyed. I want to just go pull-a-part and get the complete steering column and replace everything. I don't want to remove the existing column until I have a new one in hand. I need to now what all has to be removed to get the column out and what tools I might need that are not obvious. The closest pull-a-part is about an hour away from me and I don't want to get there and be missing some simple tool that will keep me from getting the part. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Phil Cottingham

·
Super Moderator
24,475 Posts
I will preface this by saying I've never had to remove my steering column. However, the FSM indicates no special tools, just a number of bolts. You may want a steering wheel puller as well, if you normally use one. See post #2 here for an alternative.
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki...r/113650-how-upgrade-your-steering-wheel.html
Basically, with the battery negative disconnected, you remove the steering wheel, disconnect the turn signal/dimmer switch, disconnect ignition wires at the connector, remove joint bolt at steering column joint, remove column lower bolts, remove column upper bolts, remove column. There is also a lockout cable that needs to be disconnected if its an auto tranny. Instructions here on Acks FAQS, but for a column with airbags - although the column part will be the same:
Ack's FAQ 96 Tracker FSM SIR Airbag

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bex, Thanks for the info. I really hadn't thought I would have to pull the steering wheel. I had planned to only take a part what I had to get the column out keeping everything intact. From what I can see it looked like the brake booster and master cylinder might have to be removed. My tracker is 5sp. and does not have an airbag. If I keep all the column covers intact I might can get out of pull-a-part without having to pay for all the individual parts. Thanks very much, Phil

·
Registered
529 Posts
You don't "have" to pull the wheel or the booster/master cyl. Push the seat back if the doner car still has one. Don't forget.you'll need a key for your new switch.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
... Don't forget.you'll need a key for your new switch.
that (the key) is something rare at pick-n-pull. If you find one, you should consider picking up all the locks so they match. should be cheaper than re-keying.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
that (the key) is something rare at pick-n-pull. If you find one, you should consider picking up all the locks so they match. should be cheaper than re-keying.
There should be a key code on the right (passenger's) lockset. If you don't have a key, remove the lockset, go to a quality locksmith, and they should be able to reproduce the key. They may ask to see title/driver's license match. I've had this done twice for less then $20 for the initial key. It's been a few years ago so the price, surely, has gone up. McElheney's hardware in Toledo, Oh on Madison Ave for anyone near. Good luck.

Edit: posted as an alternative if no key available at JY

·
Registered
433 Posts
This is not a big deal. I'd swap the entire column. Start w/ column w/ a key. 'Few phillips screws on lower cover, 4 interior column bulkhead bolts, 2 column to dash bolts, knee bolster and column joint bolt in engine compartment. With column lowered, disconnect connectors.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is not a big deal. I'd swap the entire column. Start w/ column w/ a key. 'Few phillips screws on lower cover, 4 interior column bulkhead bolts, 2 column to dash bolts, knee bolster and column joint bolt in engine compartment. With column lowered, disconnect connectors.
Thanks Scotsman, That's what I am going to do. I need to replace everything about the steering column, covers, switches and all components . I hope to find a column with a key but that's asking a lot. Thanks, Phil

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just wanted to let you guys that helped me out know what I did about my steering column . In my search for parts I found a 94 tracker for sale that I bought for a parts vehicle. After looking it over I decided to use it as my project and the original one for parts. Now I want have to change the steering column and I have a key. Now this one will get the Isuzu diesel engine. I will have the engine and automatic trans. that I will probably sell for parts. Thanks for the help. I'll be chiming in later. Phil

·
Super Moderator
24,475 Posts
Good luck with your project and let us know how you get on. Photos would be good....;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts