Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I should start another thread for the Tracker projects that my son and I are tackling. I got an '01 Tracker a couple weeks ago, sans engine and questionable transmission. The PO removed the engine for another project. I happen to have the t-boned Vitara with good engine/trans that I got a year or so ago, so we are in the process of stripping down the Vitara, then performing heart transplant surgery into the Tracker.
The Tracker will be my son's rig, and he is very much involved in the process. He doesn't go back to college until the 18th, so he has the time right now. What we've been doing is he works during the day on it, then when I get home after work if he has any questions we review, work together for a bit, then make a plan for the next day. I'm trying very hard to let him do most of the work, and I'm there for technical help. Work is slow because while we are inside, the shop is not heated.
Today we got to the point where we need to drop the front diff, unbolt the torque convertor, pull the engine/trans bolts and the engine will be ready to pull. If we get some time tomorrow we should have it out and on the stand.
Pics as soon as I can get him to share them with me.

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
I love "father & son" projects like this - it's how I got started, it's how my son got started - unfortunately, he's migrated so our time together is limited to visits, no time for wrenching

I do have my six year old grandson "hooked" - one of his christmas gifts was a plastic model kit of a four cylinder engine - I'm sure you've seen them - transparent block & head, so you can see the pistons moving up & down, valves opening & closing, even had little bulbs where the spark plugs would go.

Assembly took us a couple of hours and he did most of the screw driver work.

Reactions: skills4lou

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, my boys had one of those, and a friend got them the Harley v-twin version for Christmas one year.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,835 Posts
Yep, my son started the same way, along with his 4 sisters (all good mechanics)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The shop is still cold, but I did get a little propane heater to take the edge off (18° today). We got the torque convertor bolts out, and the front diff is shifted out of the way enough to remove the engine. All we have left is the engine/trans bolts and the stiffener brace and the engine will be ready to come out. Man, those torque convertor bolts were a bear to break loose!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sitting in Seattle, due to flight cancellation so I figured off try to post a couple pics from my new phone.
Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Tire Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Style Font

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts