Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Swapped a 2001 Tracker 2.0 in my 1988 Sami ran great for a year.

Ran wonderful then a one day rapped decrease in power (must rev to gain any power) replaced cps, tested usual gas spark etc. took to shop recommended replacing CPS either bad rebuild or wrong year component.

Must advance to max to have idle, deteriorates as engine leaves cold start mode.

Replaced all timing components during rebuild

any ideas?
don't want to pull engine to swap crank PS

Thanks
Mike

·
Super Moderator
12,172 Posts
Let's focus on the sequence of events ...

You swapped the J20 engine in to the Sami and it ran great for a year, and then there was a rapid decline in power, at which point the CPS was changed - what is a CPS?

All timing components were replaced during rebuild - when was the rebuild done - before the swap or after the problem started?

Does your swap have a CEL & OBDII port wired? Are there any check engine codes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what is a CPS? Cam Positioning Sensor Rebuilt from NAPA

All timing components were replaced during rebuild - when was the rebuild done - before the swap or after the problem started? Prior to swap Jan 2015

Does your swap have a CEL & OBDII port wired? Are there any check engine codes? Yes Multiple codes relating to emissions and a CPS code that was cleared with no results

·
Super Moderator
12,172 Posts
Just a heads up - in Suzuki parlance the cam position sensor is the CMP, and the crank position sensor is the CKP, you'll find them referred to this way is the factory manuals.

The timing components were replaced almost a year prior to the start of the problem, so I would say they in no way relate to it - it might be an idea to take a closer look at the emission related codes - if the fueling is incorrect, you will be down on power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the proper acronyms for the sensors, I was hoping that the symptoms described would lead someone to advise me on a reoccurring problem that is inherent to the J20 engines timing/injection systems.

I will stay tuned
Once again thanks for the input.

·
Super Moderator
12,172 Posts
I can't say that there are many recurring problems inherent to the any of the J20 engine's systems.

The timing chains can be problematic IF regular maintenance is neglected, and some folks have had "heat soak" issues with the cam position sensor, but, the symptoms of that failure don't match yours - the engine starts & runs well, but will run rough and eventually stall after it's been running for a while, it will then not restart until it has been allowed to cool, a process which can be accelerated by cooling the cam sensor with a wet rag.

From what you say, yours runs poorly from the get go and gets worse as it gets out of cold start mode - what that says to me is that you have an emission control system related issue (which is also where your codes are pointing) - in cold start mode the engine is running in what is termed "open loop", it's ignoring feedback from certain sensors and fuelling based on a preset map, when it goes into closed loop, it fuels from a different map, and adjusts based on the input from those sensors.

It seems to me like you have the tools (the codes) and you're choosing not to use them - what are the codes it's reporting?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts