Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It has been awhile since I have been on here. I have a few questions about a possible motor swap.

I Just purchased my 3rd Samurai and it has the 1.3l in it. The vehicle only has 114k on it and the motor sounds very good and runs strong. I do have axcess to a rolled 90 Tracker with a1.6l motor that has only 82k on it.
I am planning on making this my daily driver for a 50 mile round trip commute. Looking for the best fuel mileage here.

Also I belive the vehicle has A/C on it also. CAn I use the A/C on the Sammy?

I have also read that if it is an 8 valve TBI manifold that I might be able to just swap the manifolds to obtain the fuel infecton and increase my MPG's but not very much horsepower.

Looking for better mpg's and long engine life here. I do plan on having some fum in the mud with this thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm getting ready soon to do my swap so maybe we both can get some valuable info.
the way I understand it is if its an 8 valve 1.6 you can use the intake manifold and carb from the 1.3 withought modifying any of the ecu or wiring harness. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm sorry for jumping in here and please understand that I'm not making fun - I just got a kick out of the typo - " obtain the fuel infecton and increase my MPG's but not very much horsepower." I'm not sure what a fuel infection looks like in a Samurai, but I'm sure starting to think that my Sammi has some kind of infection or maybe I do for buying!:eek:

Sorry, but I couldn't help myself!:p

David

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, my Zuki doesn't have any of those - though I might :( I'm just having a really bad time trying to get it through the California Smog Test.... However, I was told a new CAT will fix it so I'll find out after the 1st of the month, but I'm really hoping not to have to drop a bunch more money into this thing. But that doesn't have anything to 1.6L engine swap of this thread....

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the 8 valve would let you bring the components from the 1.3 across, but you couldn't put the fuel injection in the samurai without replacing the wiring harness, and ECU. There are a few other modifications you would have to make too. If you want to use the carburetor from the 1.3 you can plug it right into the 1.6l engine. You just need an external fuel pump.

The adapter plate for mating the 1.6 to the tranny is available at a couple suzuki 4x4 sites, petroworks, trail tough, low range, etc... There are a few different models.

As far as power from a fuel injection system, its going to give you more power and better efficiency than a carburetor.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dwarr1
Baratacus is right on the money about more power and better efficiency. Plus, once you get around the wiring you'll find passing CA smog a lot easier than with a worthlessly outdated sammy carb (oops too much personal opinion).
game on - citizendan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks DWcarr for pointing out the typo. I was pretty tired after work when I made the post.

I have decided to do the full engine swap so I will be ordering conversion kit soon, just do not know which one to get. Any input on this would be appreciated.

No smog test or inspection reguired on Oklahoma so no worries here.: I had enough of those worries when I lived in L.A..

Do I need to lower the motor or body lift with the 8v.L. motor.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
if you don't mind a more complicated build and a little more money spent, do the Fuel injector swap and get the wireharness and ECU done for you by Trail tough. More power, better efficiency.

If you don't have to smog it, and don't want to do all the wiring for the Fuel injection, do a Constant Velocity carb. They almost have the power of a fuel injected intake. Much more simple than FI, but it is less fuel efficient. Not smog legal, but you don't have to worry about that where you are. So... long story short, put in a screaming eagle carb conversion, put a header on there, and do the 1.6L 8V engine. The 8valve Has more low end HP than the 16 valve.

·
Registered
300 Posts
What about mating the 1.6 to the tranny in the 1.3 samurai?
I was wondering the same thing. I have a spare rebuilt 1.6l 16v and tranny laying around with harnes, computer everything really... and was thinking about throwing it all under an old sammy [solid axles so i can go with bigger tires. Can you swap the whole drivetrain and just mod the drivelines?

I guess that would bring on gearing issues for the front solid axle though.... :(

Anyone know what just an engine swap like this costs? 150 for the adapter,. but what does it cost to mod the harness if you have everything? hand how hard is it to re run the harness for the fuel injection?

I have a feeling everyone else on this thread is wondering some of these same question so i do not feel like a thread jacker :D. Anyone find a good swap writeup? this is the only one I found ...

Suzuki Samurai 1.6L Engine Swap

·
Registered
192 Posts
I did swap out the 1.3 AND trans out of my sammy about 13+/- years ago and dropped in a 1.6 8v with the 5sp stick from the sidekick. I liked it cause the 1.6 set up has a larger flywheel/clutch. Also the 1.6 trans is a bigger/better unit.
Easiest swap you will find. I used/needed no adapters except for a really, really short half shaft. (looks like 2 ujoints welded together) It came with the engine I bought. I had to redrill the one motor mount hole about 1/4" back, and the trans mount holes about 1/2" back. All this made me have to cut a new hole for the one shifter as the longer trans did move things back... (remember, short half shaft) I also remember I had to notch the trans case shifter hole in the floor in the front right side for 4Xlow. I have a 3" body lift but don't know if that helped or not.
I used my 1.3 intake and exhaust. I did it solo over 1.5 days. Easy.
I got my engine/trans/half shaft from Hawk Suz. way back in the day.
If needed I can try to hunt down some picts. Again, it was easy. I drove it in the warehouse @ work (heat & flat) on a sat morning, drove it out after lunch on sunday.
I think all I used was a engine hoist, drill, jig saw, a few wrenches and... I guess thats it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
gasjr4wd
I think the body lift helped the trans clearance. The tunnel in a sammy has to be massaged for a tracker/sidekick trans to fit. I would like to replace my tired 1.3 with a J motor 2.0/2.3 and the larger trans in my 88 (hurry up economy kick in).
game on -citizendan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts