Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup guys new member but long time lurker haha.

i have a 1994 sidekick 1.6 16v 5 speed 2wd

no cel on

i have a problem when i press the gas pedal it will loss power and die, but if i lightly press the gas its fine. i measured the volts from the signal wire and it jumps from .7 volts strait to 5 volts when throttle is pushed...tps has been replaced but same outcome. does anyone know what might be causing the jump in voltage? please any advise would help its currently my daily driver and its been driving me crazy chasing this problem...thanks for looking.

·
Super Moderator
13,770 Posts
That sounds a lot like a defective TPS, but wiring problems can also cause it - where are you measuring the voltage - at the TPS connector?

Is it a 3-wire or 4-wire TPS? If it's 3-wire disconnect it and connect an ohmmeter between the signal and either of the other two terminals - you should see a smooth change in resistance as the throttle is open & closed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a 4 wire. and yes i tested it at the connector....also did do the ohms test on the sensor and i did see a smooth change in resistance when adjusting the throttle.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Next step, check the circuit from TPS to ECU for continuity and/or short/ground..

Wiggle test.

..... Philip

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
ah...chasing a wire problem..sounds like fun :/ haha
Most likely around engine to firewall, a non destructive tone generator would make is so much easier...

.... Philip

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Are you sure that wasn't the idle switch giving that response?

·
Super Moderator
24,473 Posts
You need to advise which pin (or color wire) you were jumping to get the .7-5v response. The TPS works off of voltage, and the voltage rises depending on how far in the throttle pedal is pressed. Normally, however it is the job of the TPS to allow for you to press the throttle quickly. But this also depends on the basis of your car being timed and tuned correctly, plugs gapped properly (.028") etc.

·
Super Moderator
24,473 Posts
When doing the TPS calibration, you are supposed to use a feeler gauge (I believe .020" on the 16v) between the throttle lever and stop screw, then with your DVM on ohms, and connected to the blue/white and gray/yellow pins, on the TPS side of the connector, you move the TPS all the way counter clockwise and then slowly bring it back clockwise just until your DVM registers ohms. It should register less than 500 ohm. This calibrates the TPS for the idle switch. You can also check the ohms across the gray and gray/yellow pin - when your gas pedal is in the idle position it should read 0.3 - 2k ohms. When the gas pedal is floored, it should read 2 - 6.5k ohms.
The FSM info on the TPS calibration and testing is here:
Ack's FAQ: Your 4X4 Portal To All Things Suzuki/Geo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts