Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I got a 1988 Suzuki samurai about 2 months ago. it has the Toyota 3K carb conversion just like the a ACK frequently asked questions guide. I took it out on the road several times and it will not go above 40 mph after tinkering with it and tuning it; I realized the secondary jet was not opening up. I was probably only running on one barrel. I decided to go ahead and get another carb and installed it the secondary opens fine and I thought everything would be good. I took it for a road test and it still will not go above 40 miles an hour in either fourth or fifth gear with the pedal floored.....
Any body have a clue as to why this is happening or how to remedie this.
My next guess is to go through or see if I can adjust the throttle cable.
Thanks
airman

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok. So I got a 1988 Suzuki samurai about 2 months ago. it has the Toyota 3K carb conversion just like the a ACK frequently asked questions guide. I took it out on the road several times and it will not go above 40 mph after tinkering with it and tuning it; I realized the secondary jet was not opening up. I was probably only running on one barrel. I decided to go ahead and get another carb and installed it the secondary opens fine and I thought everything would be good. I took it for a road test and it still will not go above 40 miles an hour in either fourth or fifth gear with the pedal floored.....
Any body have a clue as to why this is happening or how to remedie this.
My next guess is to go through or see if I can adjust the throttle cable.
Thanks
airman
Your cable may be too long or the linkage is loose fitting and it will not fully open because there isnt enough pull or fit is off.

·
Super Moderator
12,184 Posts
You've told us very little about the vehicle, I suspect because you very little about the vehicle, and that makes it hard to diagnose what's happening.

Some more details might prove helpful - what size tires are you running?

Many of these vehicles have been lifted and larger rubber fitted - if this is done without gearing changes to compensate, the performance may be significantly affected.

What condition is the engine in - for that matter what engine do you have in it?

If the engine is the original 1.3 litre G13, it's probably tired - wet & dry compression tests will give you an idea of the engine condition. Engine swaps using the 1.6 G16 from a Sidekick or Tracker are quite common, and whilst they do provide more power, your Samurai will never be a speed demon, especially with larger rubber.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts