Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a cheap towbar nearby to suit my wheels in the local classifieds in near perfect condition... just wondering what the towing capacity is of a reasonably standard 1.3?

Is it worth the spend?

·
Registered
122 Posts
500 lbs!!! I can't even pull my Yamaha Grizzly 660 (600 lbs) with that! In fact, the Griz's towing capacity is up around 1000 lbs, I think. I could tow the Suzuki with the Grizzly! :)

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I was mistaken.
After heading back to the manuals I can confirm that the towing capacity is 1000 lbs. It is such a low number I had always thought that a tow hitch (it even had a Suzuki accessory tow hitch) was rediculous on a Sammy. Heck, that's more than a third its own weight.
Also, if you try to push the limit with a factory tow hitch you can bend the rear hoop out of shape. The only thing that hoop is really good for is protecting the gas tank a bit...
(Thanks Merlin)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
it makes a good step when strapping stuff to the top.

1000 lbs will haul a trailer and a quad, or camping gear.... you can upgrade to a real hitch and put some helper springs on it and tow more, but you should get something with brakes on it, cause your samurai won't be able to stop with the stock brakes.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you're looking at a 2" receiver it can do more than just trailer pull. It can be an ancore point for a tow strap recovery. Hold a portable winch. Carry a cargo rack. Many other things to.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
One thing to be careful about though, The 'plow' on the back of the Sammy where the hitch ball gets bolted to is not very sturdy. It WILL bend. If you want a really sturdy tow point/winch mount/etc. - then consider an aftermarket rear bumper with an integrated 2" reciever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts