Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I went today to a shop in Montreal to change winter tires and engine oil.

They dit the job fast and after I went to put gas (a few km distance , about 5 km).
I checked the oil (like usual when I put gas) and I noticed that was too much.(2-3 cm)
I went back to garage and they said that I was right and was too much oil. They took some off.

I wandering if this could be bad for my engine.

Thanks a lot

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
That's like an inch (about a quart or more) over!

Did you drive FAST for that distance? The slower the least likely to do harm. You probably are OK just the same. The problems arise when the level is so high that the rotating crankshaft "froths" the oil (called windage) into an air captured oil mix, and starves bearings of oil.

No oil light or odd sounds now, right? ;)

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
The simple answer is that yes, overfilling with oil is really bad. The excess pressure that results can blow gaskets.

·
Registered
271 Posts
No harm would be done with the small amount and the short distance. Overfilling by 50mm or more or prolonged high speed driving with an overfilled sump can cause problems, predominately with oil foaming.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the answers.

I did not run fast when I had too much oil, I was in the city residential zone, at about 30-40 km,per hour.

The next day with the oil at the right level I had a long trip Montreal-Toronto (about 1000 km aller-retour) and everything was fine.
So confortable and safe and Suzuku Grand Vitara i's unique: You don't see this type of vechicules at all .

What a difference for the gas consommation : now beacause the wheter is better and with the summer tires a had 9-10l per 100km hightway.
In the winter in the city I had 16-17 l, per 100km.:eek:

I'am vglad that the springtime is back
:D
Merci beaucoup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts