Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject is Tires. The Stones told us that you can't always get what you want, but if you put the question to guys in the know, you just might find, you get what you need.

My 2002 xl-7 needs back tires. The fronts are Kumho street tires, but I'm thinking about putting a set of meat on the back end that can scoot in more off-road situations like gravel, dirt, and a bit of mud. Problem is, it's my daily driver and she has to haul me on a 45 mile round trip everyday on the highway, (which includes some amount of drifting snow in the winter).

I was kind of thinking at looking at light truck tires for this setup. Seems to me it would also make some amount of sense, since she will be seeing some towing duty a few times a year with a trailer and golf cart.

I would love to get the group's opinions on this. Name brand and specific products greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time on it.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
19,086 Posts
Snoop!

Check the Tire Rack for their comparison and test data specs.

IF this link works, these are the Winter / Snow group by rating and size for your ride.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...utoModel=XL-7 2wd&autoModClar=&sortCode=46200

You are two wheel drive I assume. IF not, you need to make sure that the tire outside diameters (drive line "wind-up" concerns) are the same as the front set. ;)

I'd suggest an "All Season" tire, but they aren't much better than conventional tires w/maybe the exception of wet weather perks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. She's a 4x4. That's part of the rub here, I guess. Luckily, with the web, there are all sorts of tools to find outside diameter. I was just reading an article (beats me where) that was comparing all sorts of conditions with summer only, winter, and all season tires. All seasons did nearly nothing well. lol

But I'll do a bit more digging. Basically, I want a truck's capabilities with a bit of car ride, thus the thinking of smooth riders up front (where 75% of the "feel" from the road is transmitted to the driver) and trucks on the back end (because they do most of the heavy lifting off pavement).

Thanks for the reply. You were one of the couple on my last thread. I appreciate your opinions.

·
Administrator
16,306 Posts
If it's a 4x4 you really want to change all four tires (personally I prefer to do all five) at the same time, use the same tires at both ends and rotate the tires at intervals to even out the wear.

You have a part time 4WD, and when it's in 4WD any difference in the front/rear tire size and/or tread condition can contribute to a phenomenon known as drive train bind or wind up - worst case scenario you can destroy the drive train.

Daily driver with a 45 mile round trip highway and you want a car type ride - get a car - you need light towing capacity - get a "cross over" and make it 2WD - because AWD or 4WD, you're looking at drive train issues if you don't match the tires - the AWD will be more "forgiving" because it will have either a center differential or some sort of viscous coupling, but, prolonged use with different size/type tires will cause additional wear.

Assuming you're going to keep the XL-7 - stay away from light truck (LT) tires - either stick with street tires in the OE size and run them at the recommended pressures (the bulk of your driving is on the street), you'll get better tire life, and adhesion - or - go with a decent set of all terrains (AT) again in the OE size, recognize that ATs are like the proverbial "jack of all trades/master of none" - they will provide acceptable, but not stellar, performance under most circumstances, except heavy mud (most ATs are mud & snow rated) - I'm running Dunlop GrandTrek AT3s on two vehicles and I'll probably go with Yokohama Geolandar ATs on the third.

One comment on the LTs and the "heavy lifting off pavement" - if by "heavy lifting", you're referring to traction - no - P rated ATs will probably do a better job - unless you have the XL-7 loaded to the gunwhales - the back of the vehicle is light, the LTs have additional plys in the sidewalls and flex less, you're going to want to be able to reduce pressures and have the tires "bag" to increase the foot print.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had Yokohama TRZ's the last time and wasn't happy with the snow traction. I recently put on Hankook 727's because of the overall decent ratings on tirerack and people said good things about the snow traction. Honestly, if you are worried about the ride I'd get something different. My ride over small bumps went from pretty good to truck like. I even went with the lower tire pressure on the front as recommended by Suzuki and they still ride like crap. They are much better in the snow however.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have Falken Wildpeak All Terrains on my XL-7. Great on road performance, Decent on Rocks ... Useless in thick mud... but air-down and you do make it through...

Never go offroading alone.. Always go with a recovery vehicle.
If you do intend hitting the trails alone.. Make sure you at least have a power puller or a Winch in the vehicle at all times..

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I bought a set of these a couple of years back from Tire Rack : http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R6GEOATS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I can't recommend them highly enough. The ride quality on sealed roads is actually much better than the previous model highway tyres we've had and they're obviously a lot better off road. They're even excellent in the wet on bitumen, which a lot of A/T type tyres aren't. They're wearing very well (25000km so far and not much wear noticeable with 95% suburban driving).

Light truck tyres won't come in the stock size and you'll be sacrificing ride and handling by fitting them over "Passenger Car" tyres. It doesn't sound like you'll be towing much weight?

Edit: Sorry, I've got no idea what they're like in snow. Handling wise, the steering is a little bit less responsive compared to the previous top range Cooper Sports- but the difference in ride comfort is well worth that sacrifice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many replies, many thanks!

I appreciate everyone's input on this. I could sit here and rattle off more details, but I think I'll cut to the chase and tell you all that I've decided against going with truck tires on the back.

I'm thinking that the Yokohama Geolander looks like a good bet for me. Plenty of meat, a good ride, and she'll have a whole new look.

Thanks to everyone on this thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts