Suzuki Forums banner

Tires Advice

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  tlctracker76 
#1 ·
Knock on wood I think the worst of Winter is over.

When I got my car last Fall, it came with snow tires and they have been handy for sure. But the ride is rough and noisy. So I was thinking I should swap them out for all-season tires.

The problem is that I don't have a garage to store the snow tires. So I really want to maybe trade them in for a little credit and get a set of used all-season tires. Hope to save a little money. I called a few used tires shops and they don't seem to like to take trade-ins ... which I don't blame them. The snow tires really have a lot of tread life left.

Anyone have creative solutions?

#2 · (Edited)
Is there -ANYWHERE- you can store 4 tires? Even if a place next to a wall in someone's back yard?

If you plan on keeping a TracKick, and have someplace SOMEWHERE to stash 4 tires (and rims) I'd recommend consider getting a set of "snow (or winter) rims."

As you already have mounted snow tires, unless those wheels are really nice, those could be the snow wheels. (Cheaper but you have less time to find replacements.) You should be able to find some summer wheels on Craigslist or pick-n-pull type junk yard. Be patient and you can find some nice deals.

I store tires and wheels stacked on the north side of my house in heavy duty "contractor" garbage bags. Just keep them dry and out of the sun.

#3 ·
If you have an apartment stack 2 on each end throw on some plywood and you have a coffee table.

Or find a friend with a shed or back yard,

#5 ·
If you have an apartment stack 2 on each end throw on some plywood and you have a coffee table.
Funny, I was thinking of something like that. Or if you have a garden, cover them with black plastic, put soil in the center of them, and you have a planter - or a table top on them, and you have a patio table. Etc.....

#4 ·
Definitely agree about keeping a set of summer tires and a set of snows on separate rims, then you can just swap them yourself at will for free. That's what I do for anything I drive year round. I too store mine at the north side of the house that never sees the sun, on a pallet or at least a couple 2x4s to keep them off the ground. I have heard of tire shops that for no charge will swap your tires seasonally and store them if you bought the tires from them, but I'd worry about them getting damaged, mixed up and sold, stolen, etc.

Lucky you if winter is almost over. We commonly have new snowfall October thru May. This year has been brutal and I think it might be June.

#6 ·
I was thinking that four tires and wheels and some plywood would make a fairly good bed platform. You could rotate the mattress twice a year. ;)

But on these inventive tire storage ideas: The more "integrated" the solution, the more hassle the twice a year tire swap will be. The idea of having snow wheels is to reduce hassle.

I notice no one has mentioned rented storage space, probably because it defeats the money saving benefits.

I'd check into friends and family with a little spare storage space.

#7 ·
In CT 4 snow tires are a must have tho I prefer 4 studded snows.

JMMO - Just My Meaningless Opinion

I fabricated a storage place for my tires under my rear deck using some 2x4's. Ironically it is on the north side of the house. It hangs from the deck floor by 2 carriage bolts.

The key is to keep any tires up off the ground and out of the sun (or shielded).

#8 ·
So it's been a few weeks and mostly because of laziness, between then and today, I only decided to check the tires air pressure today.

So the recommended PSI for my 94 Geo Tracker is 23 PSI. That's what it is written by the driver's side door. But I also read the original tires were 195/75/15.

I have 205/75/15 and every tire was at about 36 PSI. A bit over inflated I guess? I lowered each tire to about 30 PSI. I don't know if it is placebo effect or what but the ride seems a little quieter. The bumps seem a little less harsh.

Thoughts/opinions?

#10 · (Edited)
195/75/15 was the stock tire for the 2wd, I believe, and 205/75/15 for the 4wd. If you think it's less harsh at 30, try dropping it to 26psi or less. Even better. The higher the tire pressure, the harsher the ride. By the way, you should check when your tires are 'cold', meaning that you haven't driven the car for a few hours. It's cold pressure that's listed on your placard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.