Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else have their tires wear out way too soon? 24000 miles on my 2002, I rotate every other oil change and I will have to replace my tires real soon because of wear.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Well its not going to be a warranty related item...tire warranties are crap! But I feel your pain brother! Ive got 23000 and mine are looking shady...I really need to save up for some new ones!

Ive said it before, but I never expected the stock tires to get over 25k on em, nor did I expect them to last more than a year...and yeah I rotate them, every oil change! But I push mine really hard into the turns, I like to make em scream!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tires are warrantied by the Tire manufacturer and not the Automaker. Only thing I know of on a car that isn't warrantied by the Automaker.

My Yokohama Geolanders were shot by 16000 kilometers. But in thier defense I drive my car REAL hard. I probably could have gotten another 6000 kms out of them if I really needed to but I took a screw in the sidewall that couldn't be fixed and there was no way in HELL I was gonna PAY for a replacement Geolander.

I replaced them with Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s and couldn't be happier for the price I paid. Better tires out there, likely, but not at the price you can get these for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK so I looked up the tire rating for the Bridgestone Potenza RE92 which came with the car. It gives a limited wear warranty of 40,000 miles. I contacted Bridgestone and will let you know if I have any luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a brand new Aerio in January of last year and I have just paid to put the third set of tires on it. Within 7, 000 miles my back tires were bald. After fighting with Yokohama for 2 weeks I got them to replace the back tires but within the next 10,000 they were also bald. I had had the tires aligned and balanced and it did no good. Suzuki said it wasn't a Suzuki problem but a tire issue. When the car started humming I took it back to them and they ended up replacing the rear differential and said it was fixed. Within 2 weeks I was back and after paying to have 4 new tires, a balance and alignment they said it was fixed. I left and drove right back as the car was shaking so bad I was hurting my arms just trying to keep the car still. They have no idea what is wrong and say they have checked everything. They are now getting in touch with the Suzuki rep and see what he has to say. Any one else having such problems?

·
Registered
12 Posts
My concern is how long does this have to go on before something is done that doesn't end up costing a lot of money and causing me to be without a car. I am waiting for the suzuki rep to come to my area to see what he is going to do about the shaking but I not getting my hopes up that he will be able to do much. My husband thinks it has something to do with the all wheel drive. Any one agree?The service manager mentioned about maybe trading in the car but that can get expensive as well. This is getting very old and I'm getting tired of the whole thing, maybe a trade is the best thing but I don't know about the rest of you, but I love my little car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How long do we have to wait for them to get an answer and how much is it going to cost in the end. There has to be an answer out there that isn't going to cost a lot of money and won't cause me to have to go without a car. The suzuki rep was notified about the on going problem but I'm not holding my breath that he's going to be any help. When the car first went in with tire problems he was the one who said it was a tire issue and not suzukis problem. The service manager said I might want to think about trading but that too will end up costing me money. My husband thinks it has something to do with the all-wheel-drive and has vowed we will never buy an AWD car again. Does anyone agree?

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI, I bought a brand new 2004 aerio awd wagon in Sept. and 12,000 miles later my rear tires are almost completly bald, and my front tires are perfect. Their is obviously a defect in the the design of the rear tires in the Aerio. Im going to check my warrenty and see what the deal is. I tell you what I find out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi its me again. Im going to contact my dealer and suzuki because this is obviously not a tire issure but a mechanical issue. And if they give me the run around Im going to look into legal action and possible a class action suite against suzuki because so many other people are having the same problem! Im sorry but replacing my tires every 8,000 miles is not acceptible!

·
Registered
57 Posts
The service manager at my dealer and I were talking the other day and he was telling me about all the trouble they are having with AWD Aerios. They are coming back frequently with alignment problems that are wearing out tires in just a few thousand miles. Suzuki is working with him and fixing cars on an individual basis. Sometimes they even have to install aftermarket parts in order to correct the alignment issues. They are not sure if there is a design defect or if there is a problem in how the vehicles are being shipped . . . whether they are damaged in tying them down, etc.

Talk with your dealer again. If that doesn't work, file a complaint on the Toll-Free Suzuki hotline and the area service rep. should help you out. Or write to the head of Suzuki America, Koichi Suzuki, at their California headquarters (I did.) They are helping people in my area (Sheboygan WI) with tire/alignment issues.

I had trouble with my Forenza at first that the dealer couldn't fix, and I have to say that Suzuki really worked quickly to get it resolved. I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased two 2004 Aerios in November of last year, one for each of my college age sons. One is an SX and the other is an LX. Both are 5 speed transmission vehicles. Both vehicles have about 15000 miles on them. The SX has MAJOR tire wear issues on the rear tires, with the left side rear tire exhibiting a diagonal cupping pattern every 5 inches or so. My son took it to the local Suzuki dealership at 8000 miles and was told it was a defective tire issue. He then took it to the local Yokahama dealer who said it was a suspension issue, NOT a tire problem. Last week, with 15,000 miles on the car, we returned it to the Suzuki dealership who once again said the issue was a defective tire, and "low" tire pressure. When asked how "low" he said all 4 tires were 6 lb. low.

Saturday I went to pick up the car, driving my other son's LX, and guess what? I noticed it was exhibiting the same "thumping" noise the SX was. We picked up the SX and drove down the road to an NTB store on the same road. I asked him to look at the SX's tires and tell me if this was a tire or mechanical issue. He said it was definitely an issue with the cars suspension and he was fairly sure it was a defective strut.

I had him take a look at the LX, since I had noticed the noise from it's rear end. Guess what??? Same diagonal tire wear is starting to show up on the same (left) rear tire on this car as well.

I have to say, I suspect suspension damage from the ship-board tie down.

I am taking both vehicles back to the dealer tomorrow. We'll see what happens...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Limney; I got a similar problem with my 2004 AWD Aerio. My ear tires wear asymetrically and my four tires wear twice too fast. At the start, Suzuki blamed the tires, but as theproblem kept recurring, they blamed the alignment. TOmake a long story short, they have replaced 8 tires (I am in the process ofskeing them to replace my winter tires too), they have performed 6 alignments, replaced the bolts twice, replaced the visco-coupler once,replacedthe camber once; I have less than 37000km (!). Now the car isat the dealership (again) to replace another part on the shaft (forgot which part), the bolts and to be realigned. Suzuki admits probelms with the 2004 AWD, but don't seem to be able to fix the problem onall the problem cars. Since I lost control of my car in a curb, I decided to replace my car, even if they find the problem and fix it. I have lost any confidence in my Aerio. Too bad, I liked the car (it is my second Aerio, and third Suzuki).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Originally posted by mmenden@Sep 12 2005, 05:07 PM
said the issue was a defective tire, and "low" tire pressure. When asked how "low" he said all 4 tires were 6 lb. low.

Amazing. When I had the Yokohamas on the zuk I kept having to fill up the air every week, sometimes 2 or 3 times a week because the tire pressure would drop to 24. Recommended is 30, so they were 6 too low. Replaced them with the cheapest Kumhos I felt comfortable with, because I didnt want to get the same wear problems people here talk about and be too invested and so far, knock on wood, I havent. I think the Geolanders just suck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I replaced the original tires at around 40,000 with BF Goodrich Traction T/A's (P195/55R15 84V) and they're running great. They were a little spendy but awesome in the snow/wet and also work very well at higher temperatures which is useful on long fast drives (i.e. Seattle to Spokane: 500+ miles at 80/85 mph).

·
Registered
1 Posts
tribedescribe said:
Hi its me again. Im going to contact my dealer and suzuki because this is obviously not a tire issure but a mechanical issue. And if they give me the run around Im going to look into legal action and possible a class action suite against suzuki because so many other people are having the same problem! Im sorry but replacing my tires every 8,000 miles is not acceptible!
I have the same problem as yours in my 2004 Aerio. Did Suzuki solve your problem with warranty? the outer side of the left rear one is totally bald. It seems alignment problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have found that if you set the rear toe adjustment to the extreme low side of the specs the problem goes away with the tire wear.The spec is 2.6mm.toe "in"+/- 2.0 mm.So just set the rear toe to .6mm toe "in" ,which is nearly no toe in at all. Its also my recomendation that you don't use the yokohamas. They haven't impressed me. You can also "tweak"the camber ,but, its not the cause of the wear,but it can't be helping.:cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Excessive rear tire wear

Having same bald rear tire problem at 14K
Bought car new in Aug 2005 and Suzuki not helpful at all and even blaming US because dealer didn't rotate tires at 7500 miles during routing servicing!
I am filing every complaint I can, including FCC. This is outrageous!
It's obvious that there is a problem with the car. This is not a defective tire issue. Also went to Yokahama and they insist not defective tire and wrote a letter for me. THEY were the ones who mentioned there is a bulletin on this problem, which was amazing to me as SUZUKI denying.
In order to get on with my life, and after having spent 2 days at Suzuki dealer and on phone, I finally paid $600 for 4 new tires yesterday (at 14K miles) and I can only pray that the rear ones don't go bald again.
I did put better tires on the car but Suzuki refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem with the car and rear tire wear. Blaming the owner is NOT a good idea, SUZUKI! You will regret this!
My rear tires had NO TREAD whatsoever. And we have saved both tires as expect to end up in court or class action...
Car is auto AWD. Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but may help to have.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have one thing 2 say your thrust angle's wrong.This is causing scrubbing and extra friction on your tires.
And most tires don't last longer than 30,000 miles.I don't care what they say when you buy them.
They have an out ,so they can get out of that warranty.
here are a couple.
1.your alignment is wrong
2.its your driving
Fact is they sell those tires with the knowledge that they won't make it to warranty.Even if they have 2 replace them they still made a profit.And most of the time they will have an excuse 2 get out of that warranty.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts