Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If your wondering how much lift you will need to fit those bigger tires, then this should help you choose.

(Information is not 100%, remember to ALWAYS test fit a tire for clearance)

Tire Size - Lift Size

215 (27") - Stock (no lift is needed)
29x9.5 - 1.5"
30x9.5 - 2"
31x10.5 - 3"-4" (Over 3" you need longer brake lines / Over 4" need drive shaft spacers or long drive shafts)
32x11.5 - 4"-5" (Spring Over Axle Setup is recommend for lifts Over 3" for comfort reason)
33x12.5 - 6"-7" (You might have to upgrade you stock axles for tires bigger the 32", Calmini sells Heavy-Duty 27 Spline axles for front & rear)
Bigger then 33's - 8"+
====

You can combine lifts to gain a pacific amount of lift without messing with drivetrain.

For example, you could do a 2" Leaf Spring Lift + 2" Body Lift For 4" with is enough for 32's.

You'd get enough lift for 32's an not have to install drive shaft spacers or longer brake lines.

====

Go To this page "Truth About Lifts" for more information on lift types.

===

Mike124

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

I'm thinking of lifting my kikr and putting a little bigger tires on it. I don't want a monster....but just a little bigger.

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting this.

I'm thinking of lifting my kikr and putting a little bigger tires on it. I don't want a monster....but just a little bigger.

Thanks for the post.
Happy to help, check back in 30min or so, i'm adding more info to thread.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

Thanks for the post.
You may also need offset rims or wheel spacers to prevent the bigger front tires from rubbing against the leaf springs during tight turns.

Fitting larger tires will adversely affect your gearing and you could feel a loss of "power" specially when going uphill.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may also need offset rims or wheel spacers to prevent the bigger front tires from rubbing against the leaf springs during tight turns.

Fitting larger tires will adversely affect your gearing and you could feel a loss of "power" specially when going uphill.
Off-set is measurement for face of wheel. Backspace is measurement for back of wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
That's a good start for tire measurements, but when you get to a 31 you're gonna start having problems turning. To fit 33's on my trail rig I had to move the axle forward, go to a high steer solution, go to an aftermarket bumper and trim/clearance the fenders/firewall. And that doesn't include the wheel spacers I added when I went to 31's...
If you just add height without the rest, you are gonna you're gonna get silly tall and badly balanced.
Anyone wanna guess what it takes to put 35's under a Sammy without looking silly?
hehehe...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Off-set is measurement for face of wheel. Backspace is measurement for back of wheel.
Thanks for the enlightenment. The tire guy used "offset" when he described the rims I needed for the bigger tires so I ended up using the same term.

From which points on the wheel is backspace measured?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the enlightenment. The tire guy used "offset" when he described the rims I needed for the bigger tires so I ended up using the same term.

From which points on the wheel is backspace measured?
Lay wheel face down, Place a strip of wood or metal over rim an measure from bolt pattern up to to object like picture below shows.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a good start for tire measurements, but when you get to a 31 you're gonna start having problems turning. To fit 33's on my trail rig I had to move the axle forward, go to a high steer solution, go to an aftermarket bumper and trim/clearance the fenders/firewall. And that doesn't include the wheel spacers I added when I went to 31's...
If you just add height without the rest, you are gonna you're gonna get silly tall and badly balanced.
Anyone wanna guess what it takes to put 35's under a Sammy without looking silly?
hehehe...
Yeah there is more to lifting your rig then what i posted.

This what it took when i did 5" SPOA lift to clear 31's on my girlfriend's 88 Samurai Tin-Top.

All found at Rocky-Road.com

Suspension
5" Bolt-on SPOA w/ Hydro Shocks (keep factory height springs)
2nd Rear Brake Line (86-88)
Drivetrain
4.57 Complete Combo Gearing Package
Traction Bar Kit
T-case Complete Mega-mount kit
Birfield Joints
Steering
OTT Steering Stage 1 for 5” Lift
OTT Steering Stage 2 Upgrade For Flat Arm
Bolt-on Panhard Kit for SPOA
OME Steering Stabilizer Shock Kit

Cost about $3,100.00 w/o Shipping, Wheels & Tires an other accessories

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lay wheel face down, Place a strip of wood or metal over rim an measure from bolt pattern up to to object like picture below shows.
And offset is measured the same way, but from the face of the rim?

Given a rim of a certain width, does it follow then that there is a fixed relationship between the backspace and offset numbers?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And offset is measured the same way, but from the face of the rim?
Both offset & backspacing are measured the same way just with opposite sides of the wheel.

Given a rim of a certain width, does it follow then that there is a fixed relationship between the backspace and offset numbers?
Yes an No, because all wheels aren't made by 1 company, 1 way you can expect to see this.

Brand X Wheel: 15x8, 2.5" Backspacing, -50mm offset
-
Brand Y Wheel: 15x8, 2.5" Backspacing, -51mm offset

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't have leaf springs on my 92 kikr.

My son says I can lift my kikr 2 or 3 inches and a 2 inch body lift, and I can fit 32's under 'er. But I will have to cut my fenders.

And that will cost me about 40 bucks, without the tire cost.

That's the way I'll go if I lift.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You'll have to forgive the newbie here for reading the wrong forum....I was in the sami forum. :huh: DUH!

But the info was helpful to get me started thinking. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You'll have to forgive the newbie here for reading the wrong forum....I was in the sami forum. :huh: DUH!

But the info was helpful to get me started thinking. :)
Your a newbie, screwing up aloud.

3" lift + 2" body lift you can clear 32's with little to no rubbing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm running about 9" of total lift and have room for 35" tires now. The whole axle upgrade thing is holding me back. I'm locked front and rear and I have the Birfield rings and a beefed 1.6L to push it around but I don't want to break anything!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm running about 9" of total lift and have room for 35" tires now. The whole axle upgrade thing is holding me back. I'm locked front and rear and I have the Birfield rings and a beefed 1.6L to push it around but I don't want to break anything!
Stock Samurai Axles - 32's are recommended and 33's are max.

You can run larger tires with stock axles but breaking stuff on regularly is expected.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts