Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i just got an 88 sammi with a 90 rebuilt motor--fuel inj. 4 cyl. right now it is running great with 33" bf goodrich mud terrain tires on it. one of the tires has a very slow leak at the rim so i want to replace it. my questions are:

-can i put a mismatched 33" tire on it for now to get by until i can get 4 new ones

-do you think the 33's are too much on the motor and should i go down a couple sizes?

thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
If the acceleration isn't sluggish right now, then the previousowner mayhave already swapped the gearing to make up for the 33's.
You can run a mismatched set in an emergency, but I wouldn't do it for long. Also, don't put it in 4wd, if the tire height is too different (actual size, not just numbers on the side) then you will have binding problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, great. thank you! as far as it being sluggish, it doesn't seem bad to me...? i once had an 85 ford ranger 4cyl. with 33's and it was terribly slow...this doesn't seem too bad. i just don't want to put too much strain on it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would check the odometer next time you are going down the road against the markers, or use a gps...
that way you can tell if the gears have been changed...

thanks,
george

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I once ran a set of used tires that were 3 different brands. They were 33x12.50's and all about the same size and construction. 7ply all terrains. I ran those for about 6 years on freeway and on dirt before they started leaking because the rubber on the sidewall was so old and cracking. Samurai isn't heavy enough to actually wear down the tread of a tire if you have it even halfway aligned. The rubber will wear out before your treads in most cases, but you will get much better street preformance if your wheels aren't fighting each other. If you go with mismatched brands, at least try to get the dimensions the same. Currently I'm running the used tires of my old jeep that I sold... 4 years ago? They were 4 years old when I swapped them so these tires are 8 years old and I havn't worn down the tread on them any since they came off the jeep.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts