Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i’m going to fit a set of Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 235/70-17 on my GV this weekend. Can’t wait to get a little more clearance and some much needed traction off-road 

The tire pressure guide for the car does, of course not include recommended tire pressure for oversized tires, so I would like to hear what your experience tells you regarding tire pressure.

How high do you inflate your tires for highway driving to minimize rolling resistance, noise and tire wear, and how low do you go for off-roading?

Regards Jens

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is really just a guess (see below), but I will say 29 psi.

This is based on an original pressure of 33psi for stock P225/65R17 load-rated for 1874 lbs. @ 51 psi max.

Your new tires are rated for 2205 lbs. @ 50 psi max.

1874 / 2205 = .85
33 x .85 = 28

Bump it up to 29 due to 2% max psi difference.

Might be a good place to start, then adjust accordingly.

Jason

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jason. That sounds reasonable, I don't know if it's misunderstood logic from my part, but something inside me says to go harder than with the OEM tire size. But I guess it makes sense to go lower instead since its probably a stiffer tire due to the higher load rating.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi Jens,

Unladened I'm still pretty heavy with bullbar, tow bar, bash plates, batteries etc and on the highway I don't run at anything under 36PSI as I find I start to wear the shoulders out at a higher rate than the centre tread. Fully loaded on a long highway trip, or if I'm towing, I'll go as high as 40PSI, particularly in the rear.

For highway obviously you want the best pressure for even wear so as Jason said, play around with them and check on wear every few hundred kms and adjust accordingly. Given that the shoulder lugs on A/Ts or M/Ts contribute to traction off road (more so at reduced pressures), if I'm going to err, it'll be slightly on the side of over inflated highway pressures.

Offroad, varies depending on terrain. Unless high speed gravel, probably never higher than 25PSI which still gives reasonable ground clearance, 20PSI if I'm worried about staking a tyre and have been as low as 16PSI on soft sand. Remember though at these pressures you need to keep your speed well down. You can very quickly build up excessive heat through a combination of weight, low pressures and speed. Also wouldn't advise hard cornering at very low pressures as you risk having the tyre bead parting company with the rim.

Cheers
Wes

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I run mine at 38 PSI on highway, and usually go 25 in the bush, unless on sand, then I go 20.

Carrying cargo or not doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts