Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read that the speedometer is adjustable on the Samurai! Going to try it tomorrow. This is the link:

Speedometer Fixed!

I don't have a tach in mine so I hope my speedo also has the adjustment lever. I'm off around 8 MPH at freeway speed. Hoping I can compensate on the speedo for my 32" tires.

In case the above link goes bad, this is the key part of the post:

"Remove the frame (four bolts at corners), the glass (two screws between speedo and tach), the speedo needle (carefully pull it straight off), and the face of the speedo (two tiny screws on either side of needle post), and you'll see a lever to the left of the trip/odo meters. Move that lever UP to slow down the speedometer, and move it down to speed it up. Check it with just the face and needle in place (and if you have the top down put the glass on, too, so wind won't move your needle). As I said earlier, it took me three stops to zero it in."

·
Registered
24 Posts
so much info

What a great site. So much info to file. I can take that to the bank. Great job guys. This site is my favorite morning stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Personally, I "calibrate" mine by going through the Sheriff's dept signs that show you your speed and try to remember how much it's off. LOL

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just worried that one day my mind will be on cruise control and I'll get a "calibration fine" from the CHP for doing 74 when the speedo is showing 65!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
keep in mind that your tires affect a percentage increase over your total speed. An 8 mph difference at 60 mph may only be a 2 or 3 mph difference at 25 mph. I'm assuming that if you adjust your speedo its to increase or decrease it by a set ammount, not a percentage curve. If that's true then you can only bump it up for a specific speed range to be accurate. If this is the case, then you'd be better off printing out a new speedometer back plate with the correct speed curve on it. I know my speedo is off by about 10%, so it's really easy for me to do that math on the fly. 25mph + 2.5 .... 65mph +6.5 etc...

Tire size calculator
there is a link for a tire size calculator.. it's set up for a miata, but just enter in the samurai stock wheel size and then your aftermarket wheel size and it will tell you what your percentage of increase or decrease in the speedometer accuracy.

·
Registered
616 Posts
speedo adjuster trick

Yep, a link to this post a zuwharrie.com can be found at Ack's FAQ...

..but there is one thing that everyone should know about this mod:

It only affects the way the speedometer operates to display your speed. It does nothing to adjust how your odometer calculates the miles that you have travelled! This is because the speedometer senses the rotation of the cable that drives the odometer through a spring-loaded mechanism. The adjustment described in the Zuwharrie post - and elsewhere- merely changes the loading on the sensing mechanism that drives the speedometer pointer to compensate for the change in roational speed caused by the change in gearing/tire size.

The only way to get your odometer calibrated for any change in gearing or tire size change is to install a compensating gearbox on the back of the speeedometer in line with the speedometer cable. A gearbox installation (speedometer shops do them) will also make your speedometer read correctly again.

I'm not putting this fix down - I'm only warning you not to expect magical results with your odometer and mileage improvements from it. This fix IS a good way to keep yourself from getting speeding tickets!

(did I just say that?)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ok so couple questions

I took the dash apart... not as easy on mine (had 4 screws holding instrument cluster to dash, had to wedge entire cluster over hazard switch on steering column to get to back where there are 8 screws holding the front on, then another 4 screws holding the surround/clear plastic over the gauges)
Finally got the needle/face off

Speedo says 42kph when GPS says 50kph
move lever down speedo went to 40kph at 50 on GPS
moved lever as far up as it would go, now speedo says 45kph at 50k

and im only on 30" tyres not 32" like you guys!:(

My question is the lever you refer to i marked in the photo as "adjust lever" which is the one i adjusted

What does the other lever behind and above it do?
Its hard to see in the photo as I only had my phone on me at the time (its through the hole on the white bracket)

Cheers
Richard

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
don't know... move it and see what it does?

next time you pull the gauge cluster off, remove the two screws holding the steering column up. Dropping the steering column that extra couple inches gives you enough clearance to get things off without too much prying and bending... (First time I tried to remove my gauges several years ago, I snapped my emergency switch off doing it the hard way)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah those 2 screws... are Suzuki tight!
Almost broke a screwdriver

As far as I can tell from closely looking at the lever at the back, im pretty sure it adjusts the stopper limit of the needle shaft.

And I would say the front lever we all are adjusting is a fine tuner to get the speedo to match the odometer, possibly?

Wasn't a total loss though, it gave me a chance to clean the dust off the gauge faces and the inside of the glass.:cool:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Help

Hi there, got a mph speedo for my australian import yesturday also ordered some white facial stickers to give it a modern look. My question is how do you put the needles back on exactly where they should? As the tinyist variation will mean an inaccurate reading. Im kicking myself now, ill prob need a new one :( thanks

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Put the needle at zero MPH and you can adjust the needle using a lever on the side of the speedo behind the face plate. I think the U.S. models are the same as the Ausi models in that respect.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You mean to put the needle on and calibrate it that way? wont it mess the rest up? Or to go eg 10mph and do it that way. im sure you need to take the face and needle off to get to it? What about the rev counter, thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
my speedometer is sitting way below 0mph at idle, then after about 15mph it starts to go up past 0mph, how can i bring the needle to 0mph at idle??? thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have stock tires, stock everything, and it is reading below 0mph, how can i bring it up to 0mph at idle then it will work fine. it works, just that its reading slow cuz the needle is below 0mph when idle

1 - 19 of 19 Posts