Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright as you all know by now I did the whole nite shades tint spray deal. Great product nice result but I just saw the pic of the black optra with what looks kinda like a custom cover to where you see the two circles for tail light and the reverse light/turn signal dealio..

What Im wondering is I want to take the old tint spray off and do it like that.. How can I get that stuff off, please help :(

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
ahaha...same thing happened with me! I'm glad I didn't take the time though cuz I think it looks better fully smoked with my new paint.

Anyways, nail polish remover worked better than anything else I tried. I used the non-acetone baby pinkish stuff (and bottle) that you can find at drug stores. It didn't seam to hurt the lens but I'd still be carful. It will take off paint though. The longer you wait the harder it'll be to get off. My headlights had the stuff on for at least a month (maybe 3). 1/3rd came off very easy, 1/3rd wasn't bad at all, then the last 1/3rd was a really pain in the ass.

Good luck

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahaha...same thing happened with me! I'm glad I didn't take the time though cuz I think it looks better fully smoked with my new paint.

Anyways, nail polish remover worked better than anything else I tried. I used the non-acetone baby pinkish stuff (and bottle) that you can find at drug stores. It didn't seam to hurt the lens but I'd still be carful. It will take off paint though. The longer you wait the harder it'll be to get off. My headlights had the stuff on for at least a month (maybe 3). 1/3rd came off very easy, 1/3rd wasn't bad at all, then the last 1/3rd was a really pain in the ass.

Good luck
Thanks man I will give that a try. :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay kinky I gave this a try and it worked great for about half the tail light.. so now I have the middle part clear and the sides tinted lol. The sides wont budge.. any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Okay kinky I gave this a try and it worked great for about half the tail light.. so now I have the middle part clear and the sides tinted lol. The sides wont budge.. any other ideas?
I just used that method...I knew it didn't hurt the lens so I didn't want to take anymore risks.

I found that once even the slightest bit of the tint gets on your rag it barley removes anymore tint.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm this bites I did mine pretty thick to so its going to be a pain. I was searching the net last night and heard Goof Off would do the trick I dunno?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
you could also try lighter fluid for a zippo. amazingly enough its good for things like that it says on the bottle of ronsonol fluid, i think, it can be used for that. just watch the paint.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay ive tried everythings, there is certain spots that just refuse to budge. Like around the very edges, and my lights are all, patchy white now. :( Im so mad. Anyone make me a deal on new tail lights please.

·
Registered
116 Posts
tangent question: for the tint spray, did you just pull off the cover and spray the tint directly? or did you sand it down first and all that other ish?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
oh and to help solve the problem...i used mineral spirits/paint thinner or something like that...nail polish remover would work, but paint thinner-like stuff is usually stronger

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
iv seen the pic hes talkin about. someone tinted there tail lights and left circles untinted over the bulb area. it was a forenza

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
take a piece of thin paper and trace the circles that you want to create. cut them out and then trace them on something thicker like cardboard or something and use something sticky to temporarily attach them while you spray the tint

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
you could also go to an art store and get frisket film. its clear sticky thin plastic used to tape off when airbrushing. have someone step on the brakes make the compus the aproxamit size of the reflector, draw onto frisket, cut out 4 circles. have someone step on the brakes again so you can see the reflector for correct placement on one of the lights. then to do the other:
tip: if you remove just a piece of the frisket backing it will stick but you can still move it. get the aproxamite placement, tack it in place. then go to the other light. measure from the side of the taillight to the center of the bottom piece of frisket ( its where the pinhole from the compus is :) ) then from the bottom of the tail light to the center of the frisket. do the same for the top piece. then transfer the mesurments to the two pieces on the other light. now you should be pretty close to symetrical. then you can spray with the tint. once all your coats of spray are on dry and looking good, you can remove the frisket film. just pick at the edge of the film with a razor or maby your finger nail and it should peel right off. just be carfull not to scratch anything. then go for a cruze and impress all your fans with your handywork :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts