Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this my first post, just bought an '87 Tin Top. I'm trying to keep the project budget down and I was wondering if anyone knows can the factory spare tire holder on the rear door maintain the weight of a 15x8 steel wheel with a 30" tire. I know there is an aftermarket number that has a tire arm but it's over $500. If anyone has had experience with there larger tire on the factory holder with no issues over time to the hinges please let me know. I have to make a decision on purchasing a rear bumper and if I'm going to keep a spare on the back.

Thanks,

pharoe

·
Registered
193 Posts
Can't speak for tintop, but on my '93 soft top ....

30" tires are commonly 9.5" wide. 9.5" tires easily mount on 7" rims, mostly with little or no rubbing, and which are pounds lighter than 8-inchers; but check with the tire manufacturer's website for their specifications. You'll likely NOT NEED 8" rims for 30 inch tires (WANT is a totally different issue). I'm running 29x9.5 tires on 7" steel wheels (AR767) without a spare-mount failure (yet). You WILL likely have to work out some additional spacing arrangement for the wider 9.5" tires (I did).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Presently carrying 32X10.5X15 BFG on stock rims on soft top with no issues.
Since the tin top has full door...seems like more likely to work fine.
Fella runs with our group has 33X12.5X15 on jeep rims on his soft top with no hinge or door lock (latch) issues.
Have seen 33X12.5X15s on tin tops but never asked about any door issues, never thought about it.
If worried and going to new rims anyways, something to be said about alloy rims...to meet weight issues.

·
Registered
193 Posts
arlo said:
....If worried and going to new rims anyways, something to be said about alloy rims...to meet weight issues.
At just 18.4 lbs for the 7" rim (AR1725785), the American Racing AR172 is looking better and better, at around $100 apiece.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The door will support it, no problem.
If it doesn't fit get close enough to the mount to bolt it on, you can always use a wheel spacer/adapter. Years ago there was an adapter out on the market that would move the wheel mounting point out 2" and up 2". That adapter allowed for up to a 33" tire...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts