Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WAHOOOO!!!!!!

I just finished my timing chain tensioner replacement this weekend and it went great thanks to the great advice found on the forum. I definitely could not have done it without this advice.

I took it for a test drive on Sunday and it sounded great.

If I had to do it again I think I would remove the fan schroud and rediator and then the plastic fan and fan clutch. This just allowed for a little more remove for the fan clutch bolts. Those fan schrouds and blades are [email protected]# on the forearms. I looked like I had been getting up hay all day when I got done.

Thanks, again!!!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Congratulations on finishing the job. Those fan bolts can be tough to get to. I had and old wrench that I welded and extension on for some other project that I did years back that made it easier. Keep that oil changed and use good filters so you don’t have to do this again.

Joel

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have just a little over 100K on my XL -7. What is the max I can hold without changing timing chain or tensioner. What is the sign that shows you that it's time to do it?
Thanks,
Roman.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Distinct Sound

It will start to sound like a valve knocking but coming from the front of the engine. It will almost sound like a diesel, but definitely not that bad.

Basically, Suzuki designed their tensioner with too small of an orafice. If you do not change your oil regularly or use cheap oil filters, then you will probably experience this problem.

You may not ever have to replace it. I changed my oil regularly but I did use cheap oil filters (not knowing they were not any good until now, FRAM). I will only use purelator from now on. There was a link someone had posted where a guy took filters apart and analyzed them.

Also, I am using 5W20 oil as recommended on this website.

If you do not hear any noise as described above you are probably fine.

·
Super Moderator
17,574 Posts
Got 211K on my chain so far! ;)

Sound?
Similar sound to the 2.5 engine noise...
A "clickity-clack" usually during a cold start up, lasting for 2-5 seconds. You may experience engine idle roughness during this period as well. The longer the vehicle sits btwn start up's, the more prevelent the condition.

Here's some additional info as it pertains to the 2.5 engine (same as the 2.7 really)...
http://www.jasperengines.com/pdf/Suzuki25ChainRattleTB.pdf

·
Super Moderator
4,416 Posts
and let go without changing... It will sound like a diesel the whole time its running. I could hear it coming a block away... A co worker's XL7' did this and she took it to a 'mechanic' who told her it was the water pump.... It was still under factory warranty but she did not know it.. I set her straight and the dealer fixed it for free:) she was gonna spend $500 to get the water pump changed too!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Max in SC

MAX,

Sorry, I did not answer your question earlier. I have a 2001 xl-7. Bought it new. Only has 60K on it.

Yes, I am the boot guy.

Thanks, to everyone for the congrats.

·
Super Moderator
4,416 Posts
shoot. I only have 44k on my 02 Limited..:) I figure I have a few more years out of her. I love being 6 miles from work:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
milbums said:
Congratulations on finishing the job. Those fan bolts can be tough to get to. I had and old wrench that I welded and extension on for some other project that I did years back that made it easier. Keep that oil changed and use good filters so you don’t have to do this again.

Joel
wow, a fellow local suzuki owner. Im in San Jose too:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
shoot. I only have 44k on my 02 Limited..:) I figure I have a few more years out of her. I love being 6 miles from work:)

wow you have low miles too xl7limited but i got ya beat im 3.5 miles to work. i got 82k on my 02' touring so that should keep mine low. purelator filter and 5-20 synthetic is all i use ...nice and quiet. i traded in my 97' taurus sho to get my xl-7 and if anybody on here knows what time bombs the v8 sho can be you can understand why im takin good care of the suzuki

1 - 16 of 16 Posts