Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mga pare, do you have the exact part number of the F6A belt and how many kilometers before it is replaced?

·
Registered
114 Posts
it is highly recommended to replace your timing belt if the odometer reads close to 50,000km. the next change will be on the 100,000km mark. on bigger engines the timing belt is usually changed at 80,000km. i had to learn it the hard way when my original timing belt broke at 65,000km so i ended up getting a new engines as the cost of repairing the damage on the old engine is almost tha same not to mention the hassle and down time when swapping engines.

its better to have a sample ready when you buy one so you get the exact part. i bought a speedometer cable before in banawe for my F5A but when i tried to install it, it was one foot shorter than what i needed so i got a longer one. there's so many variations in our engines and parts so its really better to have the part ready when you buy.

hope this helps!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where did you buy the Japan timing belt and how much? im planning to buy one in reserve ...:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
you cant tell if your timing belt will break or not. that's why there's a recommended kilometer reading for this. it's not recommended to open the timing belt cover once in a while not to mention the hassle. our engines, although smaller, exert extreme pressure on our timing belts due to our gear ratios, 4 gears in some models, engine displacement, etc.

a perfect example is our higher rpm during cruising speed (5000rpm as opposed to 3000rpm on most cars). my ford sporttrac cruises at 2500rpm even at 100kph and at 3000rpm at 140kph. i only get 3500-4000rpm when i need to accelerate quickly like in overtaking.

so this means for the lifespan of our rides, our engines work almost doubletime as compared to other cars with bigger engines and better gear ratios. this explains the shorter intervals between timing belt changes.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
replaced my F6A timing belt at 55k kmms just in time! the mechanic said its about to snap...swerte pa din

·
Registered
7 Posts
sir i got my susuki scrum, with f6a engine. just this month. i got it from a local importer. the kilometer reading is at 125,000 km. would like to ask if the timing belt is due for a replacement?

·
Registered
177 Posts
sir i got my susuki scrum, with f6a engine. just this month. i got it from a local importer. the kilometer reading is at 125,000 km. would like to ask if the timing belt is due for a replacement?
I suggest since this vehicle is new to you, it's either you check the
belt for cracks or better yet change it immediately to a new one
since we don't exactly know when this belt was last installed by the
owner. The odometer reading is 125,000 so more probably the belt
needs to be changed or it can be brand new! But how can we know?

Anyway it's just P600+ compared to thousands of pesos if you damage
the engine.

·
Registered
177 Posts
tnx. im from pasig. i use the susuki for my business, any good mechanic that you can recommend?
Sorry I'm in Cebu, maybe our friends from Manila can share something.
Anyway, I think any mechanic near your place knows how to check
& change the timing belt.

By the way here is a photo I downloaded last year from a site. Never
had the chance to check if the stock# was right, but just tell the
vendor your vehicle type, say Suzuki 660cc, 12V and he will give you
the correct size.

View attachment 5144

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did replaced my timing belt last week. For the F6 engine, 12valve I have, the belt's teeth is 113, Gates brand and cost me P960 in Mandaue here in Cebu City.
My previous belt is of the same brand & quite expensive but the performance is very impressive. Considering my old belt was installed 3years ago but after the replacement, I did check for some cracks or sign of stress but to my surprise, the belt is still in good condition. My zuki is on trip everyday with an average Distance of 30Km & occationally runs 120Km 3-4times a month. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just changed my timing belt myself last weekend. replaced it with a GATES timing belt as well. am from manila. anyway I'm very happy with the quality of the belt. GATES is a popular brand back in the states. Also changed the tensioner as well. it was getting kind of noisy kasi. also make sure your mechanic checks your timing again after install. my two cents too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
mga sir tnx for the reply, regarding the timing belt. by the way i saw a sticker on the timing belt plastic cover. it reads 103,000kms.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Usually when a mechanic replaces the belt, they write the milege when it was changed. anyway thats what most do. not sure about your engine though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
we're also supposed to record the date, mileage, part brand/model at the time of the replacement/installation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yup, on my side, I used to list down all my records of my Zuki on a notebook. I can easily track all in/out of parts (including the price), date of repair/s, cause, troubles encountered and like.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone know where i can find a diagram on how to line the pully marks on the cam and crank for the correct postions? do the marks on crank and cam have to be set 12 oclock? their is a notch at the top of the timing cover back plate.. do both marks have to be facing up toward that notch? thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts