Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at a loss!
Just installed a second timing belt in my 3-cyl, 660cc, 12-valve Suzuki Carry engine. The first one that came with the second-hand purchase failed a couple of months - fortunately, it made such a racket before skipping or breaking that I caught it without bending valves. I think the belt was an after-market type, very soft and frayed. My first relacement was a belt labelled "Suzuki" and it worked ok for a while - 3 weeks ! And now another attempt with a Japan-made belt labelled "Gates". The tensioner is ok and I adjusted it to fully tight, which did not stretch the belt at all, in fact, it was pretty loose.

Has anyone any experience with these belts? Are they loose? Do they last? What's the trick?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Sean in Manila (pretty frustrated)

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Carry has been with me for over a year now, driven daily but the timing belt has not yet failed. Maybe you were just unlucky with your previous belts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think Suzuki has a problem with its timing belts in general. I have replaced the timing belt on my Vitara JLX and sounds like I may have to replace it again 33,000 miles later

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've been using original Suzuki timing belts for all my f6a engines (I have 3) and they have been holding up quite well. I've been hearing about these no name belts for about a year now and it seems that they always stretch a significant amount after a few thousand kilometers.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hello Mang Caloy!

Wow! three suzuki's! Are they all vans or truck type or both? Just want to ask if you can recommend a good suzuki mechanic in Manila? Mine is a Suzuki Carry van.

:00000732:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've heard that cebu is the Suzuki haven for carry or the newly models the scrum type with the engine located from the rear. And the windows on the sliding doors is not anymore like the "fx" type. You can roll down the whole window. I wonder if you can put power windows on them? :grin:

Oh by the way, where did you bought your trucks and where are you planning to buy the vans?

Happy hunting on the vans. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought the trucks in Los Banos, Laguna, beside the Shell station in Bgy. Anos. I'll be going to Cebu this July for the trucks. :) I'll fill you in on what I'll find there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guyz, newbie here.
Actually I am from Cebu. Yellowturtle is right, you can find the latest models of suzuki minivans and pick-ups here in cebu, ranging from the ordinary manual transmission to the all-power automatic 4-wheel drive. I even have a friend who is selling this type of vehicles. He has sent a number of units there in manila. Surplus autoshops are selling original parts [surplus though, chop-chop (legally)] but still quality. You can get units, knock-down or assembled. This are originally right hand drive but converted to left hand drive. You will be amazed how they do it. Even the dashboards are really clean after the conversion.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was in cebu earlier this week. Saw a LOT of Carry vahicles running around the city. No luck with the parts and the units though, because I just stayed for one night there and had to do a lot of things.

·
Registered
69 Posts
scrum pickup model

Mr. scrum93, can you help me identify the model (year) of my suzuki mini truck? I have posted 2 pictures on my gallery. Mine they say is a scrum, but aren't scrums made by Mazda? I got my truck from a local dealer who says they got their units from Cebu. I think mine's got an F6A engine as the Engine no. (F6A-#######) says. The chassis no. is DD51T-######.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Your truck is an early 1990's Suzuki Carry pick-up but you can check the engine to be sure. Usually, the engine will have Suzuki cast at the top of the engine cover. Anyway, Autozam Scrum (Mazda) is a Carry/Every clone and majority of Car makers in Japan do offer small vehicles with an engine displacement of 660cc because of low tax in acquiring this vehicle.

If you want a detail History of the Kei class so your more familiar with your ride go to this site:

History of Japanese Kei Minivan
Japanese Kei Minivans

Suzuki Specification
Suzuki Every (used, imported, new): pics, specs, performance

What is Japanoid
Japanoid.com

KC technica (Tuning & maintenance & dress-up of all K-car)
ƒGƒuƒŠ�[�iDE51V�j ƒ`ƒ…�[ƒjƒ“ƒOƒ�ƒjƒ…�[

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks a lot yellowturtle for the helpful sites.

Have you been to Bacolod with your PongPagong lately? or maybe it was Pong's twin that i saw? It looks exactly the same...yellow with spoiler/skirts or whatever is the right term for them, plus the additional lights up front.

Btw, i am running 14-15 km/L on my mini truck. How about on your van?

thanks again.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi there!

I've never been to Bacolod and I wish I can have the time and money to visit your City with my carry van. I really like your pick-up because it is ideal to go around the Philippines and it's small enough that it can fit in most ro-ro ferry. Kung Binata ako or if i have the money, I'll buy a pick-up like yours.

My van runs 12 to 13 km/Liter in city driving but I have not check it on long distance trip. I'm saving to have an Aircondition install in my van sana hindi rin masyado matakaw sa gas. I plan to put a small curtain like at the rear passenger so the cold air will just circulate on the passengers lang.

But it is still a plan.:cool:

·
Registered
85 Posts
hi sean_in_manila, w/ regards to timing belt w/ the label "gates" as a brand is quite good... we,ve been using it on 550cc's for years and it has a good lifespan. especially on a PUJ type cab. but w/ my F6A 660, i'm still using the one that came w/ it when we bought it from "partraders" (an importer), two years ago. =)
like scrum93 i'm also from cebu, and i confirm what he said... andami talaga dito, from PUV's to private vans and pick-up's

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree yellowturtle, mini trucks/vans are ideal to move around the philippines by Ro-ro. We were planning last month to visit cebu and bring along the pickup, but it was not realized because they would charge P1,300 (one-way) and driver lang ang free. If there are only 3 or 4 of us, it's not a cost-wise option. Maybe later if we plan to transport something, say, a ref or a washing machine, hehe...maybe that would be practical enough.

More and more people in bacolod are settling for KEIs like ours because it's more economical...at napakadaling i-park!

A curtain...hmmm, that would seem a logical solution to at least minimize the volume of air that your A/C would "cool" or would extract heat from (sounds too technical).

·
Registered
10 Posts
does anyone knows the specs of timing belt for 12v f6a 660cc engine?
The no. of teeth and width? And what brand could u recommend, need help guys.:(

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yellowturtle said:
Your truck is an early 1990's Suzuki Carry pick-up but you can check the engine to be sure. Usually, the engine will have Suzuki cast at the top of the engine cover. Anyway, Autozam Scrum (Mazda) is a Carry/Every clone and majority of Car makers in Japan do offer small vehicles with an engine displacement of 660cc because of low tax in acquiring this vehicle.

If you want a detail History of the Kei class so your more familiar with your ride go to this site:

History of Japanese Kei Minivan
Japanese Kei Minivans

Suzuki Specification
Suzuki Every (used, imported, new): pics, specs, performance

What is Japanoid
Japanoid.com

KC technica (Tuning & maintenance & dress-up of all K-car)
ƒGƒuƒŠ�[�iDE51V�j ƒ`ƒ…�[ƒjƒ“ƒOƒ�ƒjƒ…�[

Hope this helps.
Thanks for this info YT, just read this thread & figured out my unit
isn't all SUZUKI but MAZDA as well. There's no "SUZUKI" casted in
my eng.cover or the engine itself. But my engine chassis could be
a SUZUKI because there's a SUZUKI marked on the sticker.
View attachment 4285

Is it possible that my engine is MAZDA but the chassis SUZUKI?
Quite confused now, need your ideas YT. . .

Likewise, thanks to Cobalt 21 for re-activating this thread. I couldn't
have read this post if not for you. This is really an important issue
for me since I've been searching (for along time) about my van's origin.

Any more information about Scrum???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts