Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 95 Suzuki Sidekick.

I am attempting to replace the timing belt. As I turn the crankshaft, the timing belt slides slightly outward. I am afraid it will fall off after I start the engine. Any recommendations?

Now, I just started it and it started fine, I quickly turned it off. Not the timing belt is 2/3 off the camshaft. Defineately something wrong. Any advice?

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
What make is the belt? some people have reported this issue and it was solved by changing to a premium make like Gates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It is a Dayco brand. I will take your advice and purchase another one. Unfortunately, It will be Monday or Tuesday before I will be able to get back to it. Thanks.

To be more specific, the part number I believe is 5303811

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
... I am attempting to replace the timing belt. As I turn the crankshaft, the timing belt slides slightly outward. I am afraid it will fall off after I start the engine. Any recommendations? ...
Temporarily reinstall the lower pulley on the lower timing belt cog. It provides the forward guide the belt requires to stay on. After testing, remove the pulley and reinstall the cover.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
End Results

Thanks for all of your replies.

I went ahead an purchase the better timing belt AC Delco TB 212. It is a better quality belt than the Dayco one I originally purchased. After installing it, I tried a quick engine start and kill and it does slightly slide off but not as fast as as the Dayco one did. Nevertheless, with the pully bolted back on, I don't think the timing belt is going anywhere except where it is supposed to go.

My Sidekick is working perfectly again.

Thanks again for all of your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts