Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted the other day that I had bought a 98 tracker w 102k miles on it that had quit on a guy. I'm waiting on a mechanic to get to it. Been waiting almost two weeks so yesterday. I thought I would look at the timing belt. Wasn't sure if that was what happen but I knew I could look at that. I loosen the cover so I could see if the belt was on it. It was so I had him turn it over to see if the cam was moving. When he turned it over the cam/belt barely moved maybe 1/4". Engine Didnt make any weird noises when it was turning over. I'm hoping that maybe the teeth on the belt stripped. It has hardly any oil underneath it. So the crank or cam seals aren't leaking. Heard that could cause a belt failure. The guy I got it from said he heard a noise and then it just quit. Anyway cross your fingers w me and let's hope it's just the belt. Anything else that might cause this? Oh yeah I did take the belts off and check the bottom crank pulley to check the dreaded crank key damage. It felt tight. I couldn't move it. Any thing you guys can think of that might be related to this let me know. I'm all ears.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Maybe a bad belt, or maybe the tensioner went out so the belt can't grab the crank gear. You've got a good start, I'd just go right in and get the timing cover off and see what's up. Hopefully that's all it is and you just need a timing kit.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'm hoping that's all it is. Only thing that keep the cam from turning I hope. Ill keep my fingers crossed. Hard to buy something you can't here run or drive lol.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Wanna sell it? Lol

Contrary to popular myth...they are NOT interference engines in stock form. Deck the head a few times....and things change. Pretty sure your keyway will be stripped. Easy to repair with a tig or....locktite if you're feeling elcheapo.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
The center crank pulley bolt should be torqued at 94 ft lbs. Keyway issues usually arise when people do the timing belt, and mistakenly remove this bolt when doing so, then reinstall it at the wrong (looser) torque. As 'wiggling' the bolt may not be tremendously accurate, it may be a good idea to check it with a wrench to make sure its at the proper torque. If it is, then all should be fine with the keyway.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bex I didn't wiggle the bolt. I lay down and grabbed the pulley w both hads and tried to wiggle it,after I took the alt/ac belts off. Not the bolt. We will see though. Trying to stay positive lol!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Hmmm. 102k... with a broken timing belt.

As the timing belts are "rated" at something like 70k, it would surprise me if the belt had EVER been changed. Plus it is a '98 (after they discovered the crank bolt torque issue) so odds are the crank keyway is fine.

Change the belt and the water pump -- as it is behind the belt and has a life slightly more than the belt. When you are done, do a compression check to check the valves are OK. They are most likely fine, even though the manufacturer lists the engine as "interference."

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the kind of feedback I like to hear lol! If I could just get my darn mechanic on it. He was supposed to start on it first thing Mon. Well here it is Friday and its still sitting. I'm getting impatient!! Maybe ill know next week. Yeah I ordered the timing belt,tensioner,crank seal,cam seal, and water pump. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.