Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm still learning about the Sammi I bought, (first time owner)
It has over heating problems and was generally running rough.

I'm giving it a pretty good go over, re-packing the fan clutch, new thermostat, water pump and timing belt.

Then the usual oil change, plugs and wires... and anything else until I can get the bugs worked out.

I noticed however while researching the water pump/timing belt change, that the cover for my timing belt was missing. I'm showing my ignorance here, but is it needed? As in do I need to hold of on the swap till I can find one?

·
Registered
80 Posts
your in the right track as far as tune up and the repacking and water pump and stat. the cover well you can drive it with out it look on ebay ive seen some used ones for cheap oem. even craigslist in your area for local pick up. but if road debri jumps in there were the belt is well you can have problems. soo the sooner the better.if you use it off road deff get it soon bcuz shit jumps in there quicker.theres a pin to adj the air fuel misture but u must lift the carb off the manifod to gget it out its almost next to the idle screw it helps on the performance and milage of the sammy too i have a 87 and did minne about a month ago runs much better today instaled a new o2 sensor ran even better. 20.00 bucks at autozone.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Water is another problem with the missing timing belt cover. Your belt looks to be in good shape, but can you tell if the tensioner looks fairly new as well? When replacing an old belt, you should also replace the tensioner, especially if it looks discolored. When putting on the new cover, loosen the alternator to loosene the fan belt, remove the clutch/fan, and the 4 small bolts that holds the lower pulley on the crankshaft. Do not loosen the big 17mm bolt.

Another thing that might help is the carburetor vent tube.
PetroWorks Carburetor Vent Tube.

Also replace the heat riser tube that runs from the exhaust manifold to the intake. Will make the engine run better on cold days when warming up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts