Suzuki Forums banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,271 Posts
This is a great site to give you info on all codes, as well as info on specific ones:
When looking up your P0172, which means that your engine is running rich (too much fuel), there are suggestions here:
You advise you’ve ‘checked’ our O2 sensor. Do you have a scanner? It’s almost impossible to do this without one,
Regarding the P0400, EGR flow, it is not unusual to have to clean this circuit a number of times. Also, if you can get hold of the Techron additive, it is a good additive to help clean up and maintain the system. Anecdotally, I have only had to clean my EGR circuit once in almost 30 years. I go miles out of my way to fill up with Texaco (Chevron, in the US), which has the Techron additive in the gas.
P0501 - TPS switch malfunction - this could be wiring to the TPS, or the switch/TPS itself. Have you tested it? The tests are in the Acks FAQS website.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,907 Posts
Fix the EGR issue first, dont go down the rabbit hole and chase the problem.. Do not resort to throwing parts at it...

·
Registered
1996 Suzuki Sidekick 2 Door Automatic 16 valve
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
This is a great site to give you info on all codes, as well as info on specific ones:
When looking up your P0172, which means that your engine is running rich (too much fuel), there are suggestions here:
You advise you’ve ‘checked’ our O2 sensor. Do you have a scanner? It’s almost impossible to do this without one,
Regarding the P0400, EGR flow, it is not unusual to have to clean this circuit a number of times. Also, if you can get hold of the Techron additive, it is a good additive to help clean up and maintain the system. Anecdotally, I have only had to clean my EGR circuit once in almost 30 years. I go miles out of my way to fill up with Texaco (Chevron, in the US), which has the Techron additive in the gas.
P0501 - TPS switch malfunction - this could be wiring to the TPS, or the switch/TPS itself. Have you tested it? The tests are in the Acks FAQS website.
I haven’t checked the o2 sensor or anything I’ve mentioned, I was just saying that’s what I’ve read were some of the possibilities.
And I haven’t cleaned the EGR either bc my check light turned off and stayed off for a while.
The techRon additive sounds like a good idea, I look for some

I think I did check the TPS when I first bought the car and it was fine.

Thanks for the help I appreciate it. I will take everything you mentioned and figure it out thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Fix the EGR issue first, dont go down the rabbit hole and chase the problem.. Do not resort to throwing parts at it...
Thanks! This is what I needed to hear. I think the new code was overwhelming me and I couldn’t decide where to start. I started looking at sensors and filters,trying to look into vacuum and exhaust leaks etc. I started to become frustrated and irritated lol but this points me in a scheduled direction. I will start with fixing the EGR. Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I started my car today and the check engine light is off smh. This car is tripping me out. I’m goin to remove the egr anyways and clean it out

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #106

Got it out. A lot easier then I thought lol. I’ll clean it up and go from there

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
Dont forget to clean all the passages in the block, and the pipes too

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Dont forget to clean all the passages in the block, and the pipes too
The block? Man that seems like it would be hard to get to lol Should I just use a wire brush and spray brake cleaner into the block? Also.. how do I get to the pipes and is brake cleaner ok to use or do I have to use carb cleaner?

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
Bex is the expert on these passages. (X being an unknown quantity and spurt being a drip under pressure) and how to clean them. Me, I use welding wire and brake cleaner and take my time.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Bex is the expert on these passages. (X being an unknown quantity and spurt being a drip under pressure) and how to clean them. Me, I use welding wire and brake cleaner and take my time.
Bex! I need help on these passages 😫 Lol I try to look online but all I can find is one video where the whole part is out of the car already lol and
Ok sounds good I’ll use brake cleaner and I’ll try to find some type of brush. If anything I’ll pick up a welding wire at the store. Thanks

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
Any stiff wire will do

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
I use a section of stranded aircraft cable and a drill

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I use a section of stranded aircraft cable and a drill
Lol! I see if there’s any stranded aircrafts laying around 😂

edit: sorry I’m an idiot. I just googled aircraft cable and I didn’t know it was an actual thing. I’ll keep that in mind. I gotta go to the store tomorrow for some parts

·
Super Moderator
24,271 Posts
Clean the EGR with carb cleaner - if it’s really bad, soak it overnight in the carb cleaner but be careful not to soak the diaphragm itself, as the carb cleaner will damage it. Make sure that all orifices are clean, and that the diaphragm snaps back strongly to its rearward position when you push it forward. While the EGR is off the car, spray carb cleaner into the holes that you see - they are the intake and exhaust ports, and ream them out as best you can - drill with cable works well. Before you put the EGR back on the car, start the engine for about 2 seconds. The engine will rev VERY high, and will hopefully blow out some more loosened carbon for you. I can’t tell whether you have the paper or metal gasket on your EGR, but if the paper one, replace it if it is not in good condition. If you can’t find the EGR gasket, you can easily make one out of gasket material.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Clean the EGR with carb cleaner - if it’s really bad, soak it overnight in the carb cleaner but be careful not to soak the diaphragm itself, as the carb cleaner will damage it. Make sure that all orifices are clean, and that the diaphragm snaps back strongly to its rearward position when you push it forward. While the EGR is off the car, spray carb cleaner into the holes that you see - they are the intake and exhaust ports, and ream them out as best you can - drill with cable works well. Before you put the EGR back on the car, start the engine for about 2 seconds. The engine will rev VERY high, and will hopefully blow out some more loosened carbon for you. I can’t tell whether you have the paper or metal gasket on your EGR, but if the paper one, replace it if it is not in good condition. If you can’t find the EGR gasket, you can easily make one out of gasket material.
The diaphragm snaps back strongly. I seen some gaskets on O’Reillys website (mine is paper) that says it’s in store. I’ll grab the gasket , carb cleaner and cable soon. Thanks for the info! I’ll be doin this today.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Ok so I finished cleaning the egr with carb cleaner. I soaked it and used a cable and drill to clean it out. I sprayed carb cleaner in the block and also used a cable to clean the block. I did it a few times and started the car for 2 seconds. Made sure the block was clean, I installed a new gastket and put everything back together.
Unfortunately the codes popped back up. Same codes p0510 p0400 and p0172.. The first two codes would occasionally pop up and disappear on its own. This p0172 is new. What should I do now?

On a brighter note tho.. while I was letting the egr soak, I decided to finally replace my serpentine belts. The screech was becoming so embarrassing! So I replaced it and it’s dead quiet. I’m super relieved lol

·
Super Moderator
24,271 Posts
Had you cleared the codes? They will stay in memory until you do.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Had you cleared the codes? They will stay in memory until you do.
So the engine light turned off on it’s own before I did the egr clean..After the clean, I drove it around and it turned back on.
The next day it turned off on its own again smh. I checked it with the obd reader even with the light off and it still had the codes. I cleared it yesterday, drove around for about an hour today and it hasn’t popped up yet

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
Once triggered the code will remain in memory even if the light goes off..

101 - 119 of 119 Posts