Suzuki Forums banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Suzuki Sidekick 2 Door Automatic 16 valve
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Yes, that’s it. Look at the EGR in your second photo. If you put your finger into it, in between the metal ‘spokes’ that you see in the photo, you will feel a metal bit inside there. You will not be able to push it forward unless the engine is running. You need to do the test with the engine warmed up, so be careful not to burn your fingers when doing this - gloves or some other protection is good - don’t use anything sharp, as if you miss the metal inside the valve, you can puncture the diaphragm.
Ok so I just tried this again and was able to push the diaphragm. The car shut completely off. I did it twice, same thing. So does this mean the EGR is good? What should I do now?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,650 Posts
That confirms the pintle (opens/shuts), but does not verify operation under vacuum....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Oh I see. I thought the vacuum was just another way to test the stall. I thought it was just another option if I didn’t want to use my fingers. Ok so do I use the same procedure? Warm up the engine then use the vacuum and see if it stalls?

·
Super Moderator
24,199 Posts
Pushing the diaphragm forward and having the engine stumble indicates that the passages are clear, and that the EGR valve will hold vacuum - if vacuum is going to it. The vacuum is controlled by the vacuum solenoid valve connected to the EGR valve (the blue one you see is for the EGR). Aside from checking the vacuum hoses for good connections and no leaks, you can check to confirm that you have 12v on the light green/red wire, with the key in the on position. You can also disconnect the two vacuum hoses going to the VSV, and, with the key on, if you blow into the top hose, the air should come out of the bottom (and not out through the filter on the top). If this doesn’t happen, you may have a short to ground on the light green/yellow wire

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Ok so for some reason my check engine light turned off and it’s been off for about two weeks now. I’ll prolly still look into cleaning the EGR tho.

On another note, when I replaced the belts for the ac and alternator... I noticed it would squeak when I start the car.. at first it was very short but now it lasts a little longer and sometimes does it when I accelerate from a stop. It’s getting worse. Any suggestions as to what I could of done wrong? Should I just replace it? I know when I put the belts back on it was kind of difficult so maybe I stretched it out?

·
Super Moderator
24,199 Posts
Most probably as your belt is new, it’s that the tension is not tight enough. When you press the belt inward, normally to the right side of the fan as you are standing in front of the car, it should only press in about 1/4 inch of so. I don’t have the A/C, but I know that in order to get the alternator shifted over far enough to have the belt properly tightened, you normally need to use a lever of some sort, rather than just trying to do this manually. It can be quite difficult to shift the alternator.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Most probably as your belt is new, it’s that the tension is not tight enough. When you press the belt inward, normally to the right side of the fan as you are standing in front of the car, it should only press in about 1/4 inch of so. I don’t have the A/C, but I know that in order to get the alternator shifted over far enough to have the belt properly tightened, you normally need to use a lever of some sort, rather than just trying to do this manually. It can be quite difficult to shift the alternator.
I put back the old serpentine belts. I thought it looked good still. I’ll order new ones and this time I’ll try to use a lever instead of forcing it on.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I know some cars I’ve worked on had a tensioner pulley which made it easier but I guess these cars don’t have it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
Ok so I’m goin to buy the serpentine belts today.. if I’m not mistaken.. is one of the belts slightly bigger then the other? I’m trying to figure out what size to get. Initially.. I was going to pick up the two different sizes that O’Reilly’s has on their website. One is very slightly bigger.. so I figured just buy both until I realized there’s two more different sizes. So four different lengths.. anyone know what sizes to get?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Ok so I think I figured it out. I went on the website through my desktop and each belt shows a description for its use.. So I’d need one for the fan and alternator and then other one would be Power Steering and Air Conditioning.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts