Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Suzuki Sidekick 2 Door Automatic 16 valve
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s up guys. So my timing cover is cracked, I got a new one in the mail and I’m planning on replacing it but I figure while I’m in there, I should replace the belt as well. I been looking at some vids on YouTube and I think I got it but I’d appreciate any tips. I’m wondering if I could just replace the belt how it is right now or would I have to figure out the top dead center on the compression stroke first and then replace? If the belt is still intact then I should be able to just replace it how it is right?

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
What I would suggest is turning the crank so the marks line up before removing the old belt, that makes it a lot easier to get the timing correct on reassembly - you do NOT need to remove the crank center bolt to remove the lower pulley, just the four or five smaller bolts.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,670 Posts
Just rotate the engine until the TDC on the crank and the mark on the CAM gear line up, cut the old belt, loosen the tension-er and replace the belt without moving the gears/pulleys.

Rotate the belt via the main crank, by hand, let the spring on the tension-er set the tension, lock the tension-er..

Mount front cover, install accessory belts and have fun....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I would suggest is turning the crank so the marks line up before removing the old belt, that makes it a lot easier to get the timing correct on reassembly - you do NOT need to remove the crank center bolt to remove the lower pulley, just the four or five smaller bolts.
Thanks! Will do. I Appreciate the help

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just rotate the engine until the TDC on the crank and the mark on the CAM gear line up, cut the old belt, loosen the tension-er and replace the belt without moving the gears/pulleys.

Rotate the belt via the main crank, by hand, let the spring on the tension-er set the tension, lock the tension-er..

Mount front cover, install accessory belts and have fun....
To measure TDC, do I have to pull the plugs?

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
To measure TDC, do I have to pull the plugs?
no, thats what the alignment marks are for, TDC on the crank must line up with the pointer when the cam marks line up with their pointer / mark. You may have to turn it over a couple of times to get them to line up as crank will do 2 revolutions for each cam revolution. Its easier if the plugs are out, just lay a rag over the engine to stop dirt falling in the plug holes.

Once at this stetting, cam and crank are in correct orientation, and you can easily see if you are out by a tooth when fitting the new belt. Fit belt with all the slack on the tensioner side so the "tight" side has no slack in it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no, thats what the alignment marks are for, TDC on the crank must line up with the pointer when the cam marks line up with their pointer / mark. You may have to turn it over a couple of times to get them to line up as crank will do 2 revolutions for each cam revolution. Its easier if the plugs are out, just lay a rag over the engine to stop dirt falling in the plug holes.

Once at this stetting, cam and crank are in correct orientation, and you can easily see if you are out by a tooth when fitting the new belt. Fit belt with all the slack on the tensioner side so the "tight" side has no slack in it.
Ohhhh ok gotchu. I see so once all the marks all the alignment marks add up then it’ll be TDC? And ok I’ll take the plugs out and lay a rag over thanks for the help

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was wondering how to take off the ac and alternator belt and was looking online but couldn’t find anything. Re read this post and realized what you ment by removing the five bolts. Life saver lol thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so I decided I might as well replace the water pump while I’m in here. I have the timing cover off. So I’m thinking I just have to take off the belt tensioner and the water pump should come right off?

·
Super Moderator
24,204 Posts
I believe it’s 5 bolts to get the water pump off - make sure you have a new gasket for it. And yes, it’s always a good idea to replace the water pump when doing the timing belt.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
You may want to do your crank & cam seals as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay so I got it all off. Look how dirty the insides are lol. I’m thinking ill go with some degreaser and a brush and clean it first.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You may want to do your crank & cam seals as well.
I’ll look into it and see how difficult it would be for me. And I’ll also check if the parts are available here in Hawaii. I been having to order parts online and waiting a week each time lol and idk if I want to wait that long. On another note tho I probably should just do it since I’m here already

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Okay so I got it all off. Look how dirty the insides are lol. I’m thinking ill go with some degreaser and a brush and clean it first.
View attachment 96622
ewww, looks like somethings been leaking, any oil contamination on the old belt?

now, BIG MUST DO if you're going to loosen any bolts on crank or cam,refit the old belt and tension it, if you try to crack any bolts loose things will turn and timing will be lost. I don't think yours is an interference engine but it always pays to be safe and turn cams and crank in relationship to each other until the bolts are loosened then reset timing marks, then you can proceed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ewww, looks like somethings been leaking, any oil contamination on the old belt?

now, BIG MUST DO if you're going to loosen any bolts on crank or cam,refit the old belt and tension it, if you try to crack any bolts loose things will turn and timing will be lost. I don't think yours is an interference engine but it always pays to be safe and turn cams and crank in relationship to each other until the bolts are loosened then reset timing marks, then you can proceed.
The old belt didn’t have any oil on it. I can’t really tell where the sludge is coming from. And if I did decide to change the crank seals, then that’s when I’d have to re attach the belt first bc once the crank bolts are off, the gears will be loose? I think I might just pass on the seals lol

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like shredded belt, sand and oil residue...
The old belt was fine tho. Idk I can’t seem to find where it’s coming from. Maybe my oil pan?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
someones been there before, Orange RTV is not a factory component

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
that doesn't explain the oil, its possibly the front engine cover, or the crank seal. Wash it all down carefully, get all traces of degreaser off the crank pulley (use brake cleaner and let it dry) then refit belt and monitor it for signs of oil or water leaks

1 - 20 of 99 Posts