Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume my SX4 has a timing belt, but I heard or read something not long ago that makes me wonder. Is there such a thing as a Timing Chain or Cable instead of a Belt? Obviously, I'm not a mechanic. Therefore this very basic question.

·
Super Moderator
12,256 Posts
Very briefly, the camshaft(s) on an engine, which are responsible for opening/closing the valves, turn at half the crankshaft speed, and need to precisely synchronized with the crankshaft, hence the need for some sort of timing mechanism - older engines used either a chain or gears, newer engines use either multiple chains or a toothed rubber belt.

You haven't told us what engine you have in your SX4, but, based on the fact that you're in the US, it's most likely a J20 engine, which uses two chains.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you ... Now you have me curious as to how I can tell what kind of engine I have. Is it stamped somewhere on the car, and if so, where?

·
Super Moderator
12,256 Posts
See if you can find the engine number - it will be stamped into the engine block, typically near the transmission - the first few characters will provide the details.

·
Registered
838 Posts
ANyway, in the USA, all SX4 , depending on year, have the J20A or J20B engine, with timing chain. If you plan to come back, go to the USER CP and fill up your profile or signature with ALL details about your car, year, model, trim, auto or manual, AWD or not, mileage so replies can be relevant and we do not ask each time. Otherwise, replies will be wild guesses at best. And know that SX4 are not the same all over the world.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate your response. As for my USER CP, I'd already filled that out but not to the extent that you've suggested. So, I went back to it to add information, but I didn't see where to add it. That said, besides the year and model which is already in my CP, it's automatic, almost 100K miles. I have no idea what the trim is. I bought it used, and am not that familiar with Suzuki or the SX4 details. Sorry to make it more complicated.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I appreciate your response. As for my USER CP, I'd already filled that out but not to the extent that you've suggested. So, I went back to it to add information, but I didn't see where to add it. That said, besides the year and model which is already in my CP, it's automatic, almost 100K miles. I have no idea what the trim is. I bought it used, and am not that familiar with Suzuki or the SX4 details. Sorry to make it more complicated.
you need to add details to your "signature" and make sure you set your message settings to add your signature to your posts. You have no details visible in your public profile so I don't know where you have put your year and model.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you need to add details to your "signature" and make sure you set your message settings to add your signature to your posts. You have no details visible in your public profile so I don't know where you have put your year and model.
I added the information you suggested to my "signature" including a photo of my car and checked the box "show your signature" below. Hopefully, I've done this correctly.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
yep, that works. now we know what you are driving and talking about;)

·
Registered
838 Posts
"all options, loaded" possibly means you have electronic stability control, automatic heater/AC, heated seats.....which corresponds to the top model, trim known as TECH in the USA, and JLX in Canada.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts