Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read some posts about the FSM and Haynes manual being incorrect with regards to the position of the rotor when setting the timing. Apparently I need to follow the FSM and then turn the disty rotor 180 degrees.

First question, how do I turn the rotor 180 degrees? I tried to just turn the rotor last night but it would not turn, I guess cause it is connected to the motor. Sorry am I missing something simple here? Should I remove the rotor and then put back at 180 degrees, but then it would fit on the rotor shaft correctly?

Second question is that some of the post said it should be facing the #3 and not the #1, but the #3 is next to #1(i.e 90 degrees and not 180 degrees).

It runs well but I have high fuel consumption (around 17mpg) and serious lack of power on any hills!!

Newbie to sammies so any info would be helpful thanks!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
When those posts talk about turning the distributor rotor 180 degrees, it means that you must remove the adjuster bolt then pull the entire inner part of the distributor out, rotate the distributor rotor 180 degrees, then push it back in. As you re-install, the gearing will turn slightly as it slides into place so you'll need to compensate for that rotation when you reinstall.

As for the crank/camshaft orientation, the best bet is to follow the Samurai Factory Service manual. There is an '88 FSM at Ack's FAQ (see link in signature). Do a search for fsm to download it.

In a nutshell, you need to set your crank/camshaft timing per the fsm so that one of the cylinders (1 or 4 are easy to find) is at top dead center with all the valves closed - ignition stroke - then install the distributor rotor so that the rotor itself points jut a tiny bit ahead of the the selected cylinder's contact point on the distributor cap. This should line everything up for correct timing. Dial it in with the adjuster on the distributor.

I hope that this helps!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ack, that makes a lot more sense now. Sorry, I am new to all of this but loving learning about it as I go.

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
timing and roto setting...

Hey it's my pleasure to help, zook77.

A mere 9 years ago I was a dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks newbie with rudimentary automotive experience. Now, I'm only dumb as a box of spider monkeys :D

Helping folks like you is part of my payback for the help others gave me long ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts