Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used/repossessed SX4 sportsback, but I cannot find any information on when the spark plugs need to be changed. I know the oil change is every three thousand miles. Can someone advise as to the mileage for the plugs? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,725 Posts
What engine?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I just purchased a used/repossessed SX4 sportsback, but I cannot find any information on when the spark plugs need to be changed. I know the oil change is every three thousand miles. Can someone advise as to the mileage for the plugs? Thanks.
They should be checked at 60k miles and rechecked every 20k after that, just to be safe...

I didn't even look at the plugs in my Grand Vitara, till 100k and they were still like new.

See if you can find an Owners Manual.....it will give you all that info.
There was a place where you could download the manuals in PDF format.
I don't know if that's still active or not. I think I first learned of that on the ClubSX4 forum.

Good Luck,
:cool:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was going to remove my plugs at about 35,000 miles just to get some anti-seize on the threads then put them back in. I'm afraid if I wait too long to pull them, I might strip the threads if they've seized.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Not a BAD idea, for sure, and then you can see just how they're doing.

These new plugs don't burn up like the ones we used in our cars 40+ years ago.

How things have changed!!!

·
Registered
899 Posts
I was going to remove my plugs at about 35,000 miles just to get some anti-seize on the threads then put them back in. I'm afraid if I wait too long to pull them, I might strip the threads if they've seized.
Good idea...in fact plugs perform for such a long time now that they rust away before they fail...and you end up removing the upper part and leaving the threads in their hole....so preventive maintenance is indicated.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
LMP,,,,,,that's just plain Nasty!

I've never had to remove a plug that way, in my life.....and hope I never do.

But I understand, why it could be a possibility.
I think they call that "Poor maintenance"....or some such.

·
Registered
566 Posts
In all honesty, if I go to the effort of taking out the plugs, I'm putting in new ones, no matter what they look like. My 2 cents!:grin:

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Well, that's sort of what I did with my Grand Vitara......at ~100k miles.

Had I not already bought new plugs, I would have dusted off the old ones, dabbed a little Anti-Seize on them and put them right back in.

Because....they showed almost no wear at all.

·
Registered
396 Posts
In all honesty, if I go to the effort of taking out the plugs, I'm putting in new ones, no matter what they look like. My 2 cents!:grin:
That's fine if you get them at a good price. The originals are Long Life iridiums that have a bit of platinum welded to the side electrode. The std iridium range don't lazt as long. Down here the OEM plugs are over $40 each!

·
Registered
11 Posts
They should be checked at 60k miles and rechecked every 20k after that, just to be safe...

I didn't even look at the plugs in my Grand Vitara, till 100k and they were still like new.

See if you can find an Owners Manual.....it will give you all that info.
There was a place where you could download the manuals in PDF format.
I don't know if that's still active or not. I think I first learned of that on the ClubSX4 forum.

Good Luck,
My car wouldn't run and the motor was shaky. My spark plugs and wires needed to be changed, although it was after only 15K miles after replacing the plugs. It's running just fine with the new plugs and wires. (98 Swift, manual trans, 1.3L, 4 cyl)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts