Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,

Long time lurker, long time Suzuki fan. I have had two built Sammy's, and last spring I bought an SX4, put the RRO kit on it, and have been mostly enjoying it. I'm not a super-mechanic, but I'm not a complete car noob either. I've got a tricky one that I'm hoping you guys might have some input on. My car is a 2008 AWD hatchback, auto trans.

A couple weeks ago I came out to the garage, started the zook, and immediately noticed a "ticking" noise. It doesn't sound like some of the noises I've heard on the youtube videos of a spun bearing. A (very strong mechanic) friend and I took the belt off to see if it was a pully, but the ticking persists. It's quieter in neutral and park, and becomes noticeably louder when in drive or reverse. The ticking does go up with rpms as far as frequency, but the noise level stays consistent.

Right now my friend is leaning towards a problem in the torque converter. We pulled the little plug off the case that you can get to through the top of the engine bay and the noise seems to emanate louder from there when we do so. I started researching replacement torque converters, and it flat out looks like they cannot be purchased without buying an entire transmission. I don't have the funds to pay a grand plus for a re-man or have mine rebuilt, so I was looking at used ones which can be found for $425 (shipped) on ebay, but of course it's a shot in the dark what I end up with. I've got a baby due in 3 weeks and I'm not exactly swimming in funds.

Any thoughts or ideas? Anyone know where just a torque converter can be purchased? Just one of those would be significantly less expensive to ship than an entire tranny.

Would love any advice or feedback.

Thanks.

P.S. Another friend of mine mentioned it could be the starter not properly disengaging, but we don't think that is the issue as we can't sense any noise or vibration when we touch the starter.

·
Super Moderator
18,425 Posts
That repair sleeve when installed, simply provides a renewed sealing surface, and is used to repair LEAKS originating from a worn shaft. That's not the cause of "ticking" in other words.

I don't know where to tell you to begin to locate the noise source, but my hunch is that it isn't a torque convertor issue. Engine, even exhaust related in all likelihood.

It's difficult enough to ID with the vehicle there, but a much more daunting task from where WE sit. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
so under a load when you put it in gear it gets louder, sounds bearing related to me, valves might need shimed, chains could have excessive play. noise louder on top of motor or underneath? trans is possible but not probable unless mounts or converter came loose. I would check converter bolts to start with.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Ticking in an engine is more often related to the valves than anything else.

You've said nothing about the miles on that engine, but I'd have to assume that on a 2008, now six years old, that it's probably nearing or past the point where the valves need to be adjusted. That was a dealer ONLY item, since the adjustment involves replacing little shims in the lifter "Buckets".
It's NOT a wrench and screwdriver adjustment like on older cars.

With the loss of all Suzuki factory service, that was just one of the things that made me real nervous about keeping my SX4.

How long has it been since you changed the oil and filter?
I had one car that would rattle like a can full of marbles when it needed an oil change.
On my SX4, I changed the oil and filter every 3k miles and I used the oil additive "Prolong" with every oil change since the first one. At 40k miles, it was still quiet as a "mouse blowing bubbles in a feather bed".

Good Luck!
:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts