Suzuki Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
There was no recall related to this. There was a TSB (Tech Service Bulletin) advising the use of an improved #1 hydraulic tensioner design on EARLIER V-6 offerings though.

Sourced from our Vitara FAQ thread...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Max, I couldn't recall (pun intended) if it was a recall or a TSB. And yes the early engines were given the blame. Dealers would do allot of deflecting to avoid the job.

From my experience they are failure prone and perhaps a suspect design with production stocks that may have "infected" later versions. A Suzuki mechanic pointed out that they altered the oil port (block side, and I could not "see" any difference) and made an change to the bore spec on the tensioner itself (and supposedly increased the quality control on the part).

It still boils down to, not a great design that could be improved but works "most of the time".

Martin

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
Worked great for me! My 1999 GV ran for over 300,000 miles with the early "faulty" tensioner. ;)

Yes, they later increased the oil inlet port size to relieve a reported passage clogging issue. Oil changes when performed per the maintenance schedule prevented this replacement / failure need. I'm living proof of that.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My biggest query is that if its left making the diesel like noises it currently is will it do any damage to the motor?
Also with this recall, do you know if its a world wide thing or only for your country?
And does the recall cost much?

in terms of oils to fix possible lifter noise, my only concern is that in my region in the summer month 40 degrees celsius and above is frequent! So will i still be able to get away with it?
Owner worry is a mechanics "pay cheque". The Suzuki 2.5 and 2.7 can be a very reliable engines but they can generate lots of worry for all the little noises they toss out. There is no way, based on a YouTube or any other recorded audio anybody on the net can say how bad a problem is, or "if" you even have a problem.

As per my comment to Max, the design is not great and yes its just like the Corona virus, its world wide. On the other hand, they did take steps to fix it but it did not eliminate the issue.

I looked at one of your earlier posts, You said that the vehicle has a complete repair history? Before you get all excited about the timing chain noise, Get Suzuki to look up the VIN and see if the timing chain tensioner was done. (not likely given its a 05.... but start there first).

If the tensioner has never been done, its likely the tensioner will need to be replaced. Cost? .... best to find a shop that has lots of experience with the repair and will know all the shortcuts and likely offer the lowest labor cost. (A good indicator that they are the wrong shop will be if they start talking about pulling the oil pan). I don't know the book rate on this job but my bet would 8-10 hours. Parts cost depend on the mechanic, chains and guides will not likely need replacing if the engine was well maintained but a good shop might opt for known reliable kit (that should include the water pump and a genuine Suzuki tensioner).

The pleasure of owning a vehicle includes having to listen to every little noise and wonder "oh my.... will that leave me stranded?". Amazing how much you can ignore and it will still keep ticking..... or not.

Re oil and temp. Read the Suzuki manual.... (I guess the fact the arrow stops and does not cover your 40C.... soon to be 45C with global warming..has got you worried?.). Like I said, your engine temperature is managed by a thermostat, look after cooling system and you can run the right oil. I played with multiple oils trying to deal with lifter noise on my 320,000 km O2 and finally just gave up and went to 5-30. Once in a while the lifters make noise but way less then all of the other options not specified by Suzuki .

I guess if you want to take the Suzuki specifications "literally" you best pull over and park if it gets too hot because the arrow in the manual does not cover the temperature in question and they don't have another oil option? ;)

Martin

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Re oil and temp. Read the Suzuki manual.... (I guess the fact the arrow stops and does not cover your 40C.... soon to be 45C with global warming..has got you worried?.). Like I said, your engine temperature is managed by a thermostat, look after cooling system and you can run the right oil. I played with multiple oils trying to deal with lifter noise on my 320,000 km O2 and finally just gave up and went to 5-30. Once in a while the lifters make noise but way less then all of the other options not specified by Suzuki .
Regarding that "engine temperature is managed by a thermostat" - try fitting an oil pressure gauge and monitoring the oil pressure.

What I've observed is that 'post noon' temperatures (between 12:00 & 14:00 hrs) have an impact on idle oil pressure, if the day is noticeably hotter than average, the oil pressure at idle will be noticeably lower than average - evidence that the even though the engine temperature is managed by the thermostat, it it also impacted by ambient temperatures, and choosing an oil based on ambient temperature is still a good idea.

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Simple answers, yes it will cause damage, the chains can slip and when they do its wholesale damage. These are an interference engine, if a chain lets go not much survives
Its a big job, whole front of the engine has to come off. Its about a 10 hr job in a shop plus parts

.run 5W-40 in it all year round.

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki Grand Vitara XL 7 Trekker 5sp Manual
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thankyou all for your feed back advice and responses. Ill be checking in near future as to what a timing chain replacement will cost me and i will start to save!! In mean time i will start to look at other recommendations sich as oil that is thinner and suit my temp range. Maybe oil filters and what not. Thank you all again and happy zuking. Will update this thread if my problem is ever sorted or magically ceases to exist !!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts