Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki Grand Vitara XL 7 Trekker 5sp Manual
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i Bought a 2005 Grand Vitara XL7 earlier this year of a family member with 95 000km on it with full service record and all. I services it on 97500km and it was running a treat until last friday with 99800km, when a tick that used to only be around at start up while engine was cold, decided it would now stay around permanently. Now like many others, i have also read up about the dreaded timing chain rattle. So i took the car into my mechanic and had him have a listen to the tick and he was saying it was the timing chain and all.
No me being someone not to take what is said from one person i went to another recommended mechanic who i have seen work of 98-05 gv V6 models and had him have a listen. After telling him what the other mechanic said he was confident that it isnt the dreaded timing chain issue but the the oil its being to heavy. So he recommended i drop oil back to a lighter less thick oil to try and resolve the issue. I asked if it could be the timing chain problem but he reassured me that it is highly unlikely to happen at 100 000km. So I performed an oil change this afternoon and put in 10w-40 (penrite fully synthetic)

now at this stage the tick is still their and i spoke to the new mechanic and he said to give it a few day. If this oil change does not resolve this tick would anyone have any other resolutions?

i would hate to part with this car its well looked after and maintained with low km for its age. Any help and repies would be appreciated!

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
replace the oil with 5W-30

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx 2013GV i changed oil as per instruction of my new mechanic but that will be next step if the tick chooses to persist!

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
If it is cam chains and tensioner noise, then 5w40 would be where to head now to make sure the tensioners are getting oil when cold and working properly, the 10w40 is a bit thick, especially at the mileage it's at.
I run this in my zukes, and 15w40 in the ute because the old iron anchors like the thicker oil

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx 2013GV. Thats what i will most likely go for, if the new oil i put in doesn’t work. Only worry is that the 5w30 isn’t rated for higher temperatures, and unfortunately where i live in summer it frequently gets above 37 degrees (celsius) Thus making 5W-30 not the first option. Ill try and upload audio on the engine tick at some point.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Read the pic, that's 5w40, I know aussie gets warm, does here too in central in summer

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is a link to the sound of the tick.
You can try using a flat head screwdriver to listen where the noise is coming from exactly. Put it against your ear and put the flat metal side againt the engine.

You should be able to find the location of the rattle/tick. I have the same noice coming from the top/front of the left bank.

I drive a 260 000 km XL7 2001 2.7 on Liqued petroleum gas so there is allot of extra noise ;)

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
Does the sound increase at speed? What you have there now seems to me as of little concern IF I'm hearing a good representation of the noise.

I'm a fan of this supplement...

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Scotty is not a fan..

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
Ugh...maybe you should have watched it first. 🤨

He was relating to the fuel system cleaning additive aspect, not as a crankcase oil application, as is the discussion here.

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
Seafoam, per the current MSDS, is 40-60% Pale Oil (CAS 64742-54-7), 25-35% Naphtha, and 10-20% Isopropyl Alcohol "IPA"

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
Not a fan of snake oil, some use diesel some ATF, or one could change the oil with a good quality detergent...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Morning all in relation to your comments:

MrMasterboard : I actually used that method with my mechanic to diagnose the other noise in the engine bay (ac clutch bearing) but didn’t think of usinf it to find the tick! So ill give that a go, but from my somewhat reliable ears it seems to be from the same area as your tick!

Max : thankyou for your recommendation. The Tick which you can hear in the engine bay is what is coming from motor. The other news is the ac clutch bearing.
Ill have a look at sea foam but may use it as the last resort.
My Plan for the moment is, give it a few days and see if the tick will subside otherwise as a good lad up above said, ill go to 5w-40 engine oil and ill also buy a genuine Suzuki oil filter as i have had read on other threads that it may help.

now Max you said it was of little concern the noise you are hearing. To alsoanswer your question it does sped up with revs of the engine! What do you think it may be?

Thanks again everyone for your replies I appreciate it!

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
I can't discern the noise origin. Lifter? Valve lash? Timing gear component? Heck, I've heard fuel injector tick louder than that.

I'd also concider removing the accessory belts and running the engine briefly. You MAY be hearing an accessory noise!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi to you all on the this Forum, the Forum has been a Awesome source of information over the passed few years helping me get my 2005 XL7 to a point that I can go 4x4 driving knowing it can do the job,
RochesterIV, I see you are in NSW, I am on the Gold Coast QLD, I have the same tappet cover ticking sound,
I bought my XL7 3 years ago with 135000 km on it and change the oil and filter every 5000km, l use Penrite HPR5 5W-40 Full synthetic a Ryco Z801 Oil filter and have had no problems up to now,
But after my last oil and filter change a few weeks age I noticed on cold start up in the morning it made a bad timing chain rattle that goes away after 30 to 40 sec,
I now have 160000km on the clock.
I videoed the sound and showed it to my mechanic and he said it didn,t sound good and to replace the timing gear would be a big job. $$$$$,
Some time back on the forum l was looking for information on what filter to use, someone said some oil filters may cause a problem like this ,
I went to the Suzuki spare parts for the genuine filter and they said it would have to be ordered in from Melbourne and a cost of $58.00, so l went looking for a suitable alternative filters,
Repco spares have the K&N PS-1002 filters on sale for under $10.00 so l changed the oil filters over,
On the cold start the next morning there was no chain rattle the noise has gone ?
l still have the ticking sound coming from the tappet cover which l am OK with,
Do other XL7 owners use the K&N PS-1002 Filter,
They are made in the USA and are high flow filters, maybe this is helping the timing chain tensioner work better ?
What filter works the best for the XL7- G1 without paying the big dollars from Suzuki.
IMG_20200803_122620.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi all Thankyou for the feed back and information. I do apologise for not getting back quick at all. So update. I have had my AC compressor fixed which has been glorious as it’s starting to heat up again!

i have now after doing my mechanical fixes filmed another video from after an oil change and a month and a half down the track. Unfortunately the noise hasn’t subsided or lessened whatsoever. Im even happier that its not effecting performance. Whilst i have somewhat grown used to it, it still annoys me hearing a tick everytime i get out of the car.
My newest concern is now one that if i leave this tick going on in the engine that it will start to wear the chain making it a snapping hazard and also worrying that it’s wearing away at the timing chain housing or cover. Are my worries legitimate???

Again Thankyou all for suggestions.
On the subject of seafoam i am very weary of injecting things into my motor. And the Scotty kilmer vid has my in the fence. Id much rather go and change components such as filters and fluids such as oil.
Also spottymac Thankyou for sharing glad im not the only aussie with a 05 xl7 with this issue!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have also refilmed the noises 1.5-2months on. Please share your thoughts

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you truly have a timing chain noise (related to the timing chain issues associated with this V6) , you can confirm the issue by taking a very long screw driver, guide it down through the maze of stuff on the alternator mounting bracket close to where it nears the timing chain cover. Put your ear on the handle and listen (or use a long probe mechanical stethoscope). The noise will be obvious and will resonate strongly from that area. If that is indeed the source, it will be the latching mechanism on the primary chain tensioner that is not working correctly and excessive chain movement is causing the adjuster to transmit noise into that section of the block. Like I said, very distinct and local.

On the other hand if its a lifter (one of the 24 tiny little bucket hydraulic lifters used!) it will be difficult to isolate and they often take turns trying to drive their owners crazy.

For the lifters, run a 5-30 full synthetic. I run mine 35-40C all the way down to -10C.... The truth about the lifters on the 2.7 is they are simply a noisy valve train and the 5-30 is about the only oil that will consistently reduce the issue. If you or your mechanic insists on running 40w +.... you can expect noise... (at least that is my experience). BTW... funny thing about environmental temps and engine temps, I bet a -10 and 40+ our temperature gauges will be identical... amazing how the cooling system takes care of that?

If it's the timing chain tensioner, you get the pleasure of doing the Suzuki recall for the fault (6-10 hours shop time). Be sure to purchase a Suzuki tensioner (which is a odd thing to say given its a Suzuki tensioner that your pulling out).... aftermarket cheap kits can have some pretty low quality parts and you do not want to do this job more than once. (don't ask as to why I know this).

BTW, super jealous your able to track down an XL-7 with such low KM's........

Good Luck.

Martin

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thankyou very much Martin. Ill get in their with a screw driver! My only concern thats its most likely a timing chain tensioner is the rattle from engine you can hear in start uo from the motor that gradually becomes more pronounced as motor gets up to operating temp.
My biggest query is that if its left making the diesel like noises it currently is will it do any damage to the motor?
Also with this recall, do you know if its a world wide thing or only for your country?
And does the recall cost much?

in terms of oils to fix possible lifter noise, my only concern is that in my region in the summer month 40 degrees celsius and above is frequent! So will i still be able to get away with it?

and thankyou for the compliment! From what i have seen i have a bit of a gem in terms of kms package and condition. My last mechanic told me that it was a timing chain noise and that ishould probably sell it! And i cant give up on this car! Low kms great condition, comfy on and off-road, it has taken me places i never would have thought to go! And i live my xl7 so much i have a bull bar on the way and am soon to order a 2 inch lift and a snorkel! But im loving the Suzuki community and their cars no matter the quirks!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts