Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1996 4x4 16v geo tracker when u let out the clutch it makes kind of a grinding sound when the wheels get going a little faster the the trans and takes some of the pressure off the grinding gets quite then when it startes to get a load the sound gets louder. i figured throw out bearing but also u only have like let the clutch out maybe a inch and it takes off so i just wanted to make sure it wasnt just the cable out of ajustment before i pulled the whole tranny out and replaced the clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
You can check the cable by having someone in the car, and then getting under the car where the cable connects to the tranny. Push the lever at the end of the cable in, until you feel resistance, hold it there, and have the person in the car depress the clutch pedal. The cable should move forward one inch - the rubber sheath should not move at all. If the cable behaves this way, then the adjustment on it should be correct.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I took it down the road today and put the clutch in a bit and still agrinding sound I'm thinking trow out bearing or pilot bushing the whole kit is 65 bucks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looked more into it today it sounds like the transmission i drove with the shift boot off then put the transfer in neutral and put the engine in 1st crawled under and could hear it. it sounds like the transmission is dry i changed the fluids still same sound i was going to change the transfer but i dont think that is whats making the sound

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it looked pretty clean i over filled it with a quart of heavyer stuff see if it would have muffled the sound but now go just as load as before. i may have to break down and swap the tranny

·
Banned
329 Posts
Sounds like to me it is the bearings in the tranny that is making the noise.

When you let out on the clutch, the throw out bearing isn't spinning, so it wouldn't make any noise (that is, as long as you have the clutch cable adjusted correctly, so the TO bearings isn't riding against the pressure plate fingers, when the clutch pedal is released).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts