Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I got a Suzuki Jimny 2001 model soft top. This is an issue that's been happening quite frequently there's a grinding noise which seems to come from the transmission. This happens sound happens when my RPM's reach about 3000 in any gear including neutral. Can someone tell me what is the issue and if its save to still be driving.

·
Super Moderator
12,433 Posts
A defective clutch release (throw out) bearing will usually be silent until the clutch pedal is depressed.

A noise present with the clutch engaged (pedal up) that disappears with the clutch disengaged (pedal down) will be internal to the transmission.

Is it safe to drive - do you feel lucky? A defective bearing could fail completely without warning, either disintegrating or seizing completely, either of which could cause an accident or result in extensive damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fordem, the thing is the noise doesn't the disappear when I push in the clutch. The noise sometimes occurs when traveling at about 1000 to 1500 rpm's.

·
Super Moderator
12,433 Posts
Then it's not in the transmission - when you depress the clutch the transmission stops rotating.

Let me make it clear - both my posts assume the vehicle stationary and the engine running.

·
Super Moderator
17,869 Posts
grinding noise...sound happens when my RPM's reach about 3000 in any gear including neutral
You need to get it on a lift, run it through the gears and have someone better ID the noise source. :huh:

Other than that, there isn't much one can do from afar.

Have you at least inspected any of the running gear for broken / loose components or debris in the oil sumps?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts